12v spots and shower fan.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm building a small en-suite and have now got to the stage of fitting lights etc. I'm going to fit 4 12v 20watt spots to the main area and I was thinking of putting one of those 12v combined fan/spots in the shower cubicle ceiling. My question is, how do I wire this to use its timer function?

I wanted to have just one switch, outside the room, to turn the lights and fan on. I was intending to fit the fan as it was just a normal light fitting and drop a two switch cables down before the fan and lights. Make sense? This seems a bit too easy to me and, in my experience, that means I've got it all wrong.

Any ideas, tips?

Thanks

Symo

Sponsored Links
fans are usually wired as spurs from ceiling roses though there is nothign to force you to do it this way and it's prefectly possible to loop in at the fan

fans have connections for neutral siwtched live permanent live and in some cases earth if there is no eart terminal and you have multiple cables you must use chock-block to joine the earths

when wiring as a spur 3 and earth is used so both switched and unswitched lives can be provided

Thanks plugwash, so, if I wire the fan and spots in series using a loop in (ie treating them as one light fitting) I could just use one switch cable?

Thanks

Symo

Sponsored Links
Probably means parallel. I notice a lot of people get confused with pareallel and series, probably because live and neutral both run in the same wire. What they usually refer to is radial (branch) topology, which is in parallel.
But yeah, don't wire it in proper series.

Zs - I'll correct it for you:

Probably means parallel. I notice a lot of people get confused with pareallel and series, probably because they are utterly clueless. What they usually refer to is radial (branch) topology, which is in parallel.
But yeah, don't wire it in proper series.

However you do it, make sure you wire a triple pole isolator to completely disconnect the fan for cleaning or maintenance. Plateswitch outside or pullcord inside.

Thanks guys, I think that's about covered it all.

Very helpfull.

Cheers

Symo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back