13 Amp plug fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The 13 Amp plug fuse seems an odd standard to me.

Apart from cooker, hob and shower which have their own circuits and are not plugged in anyway, I have no devices or appliances in my home that will draw 13 Amps.

Even if I did have a 3 kilowatt fire, 13 Amps seems a poor choice for the plug fuse since 13 Amps is exactly 2.99 kilowatts at 230 Volts. Surely a 15 Amp would surely be more suitable. Thoughts ?

I do have a number of 2 kilowatt devices that I need to plug in. However, the 13 Amp fuse also seems wrong here too. It is far too 'generous' for the current being drawn. I am thinking of replacing my 13 Amp fuses with 10 Amp fuses for these appliances. Am I right ?

Finally, considering the final ring main 'trick' of being able to use 2.5mm cable for a 32 Amp MCB, what is the actual current that would actually blow a 13 Amp fuse?

Would a 13 Amp fuse blow at 14 Amps, or 26 Amps ( 2 x 13 ) ?

Sponsored Links
Reynardine said:
... I have no devices or appliances in my home that will draw 13 Amps.

Wow, you haven't got a kettle or a toaster? or a fan heater? Or an electric iron?

Sponsored Links
Reynardine said:

It will blow at 13.1A. It is a 13A fuse. 13A is the most it will allow. if it blew at 14A then it would be a 14A fuse ;)

The more you overload it, the quicker it will blow.

Reynardine said:
What are the symptoms of the problem you wish to solve?

Softus said:
Reynardine said:
What are the symptoms of the problem you wish to solve?
You sound like the holographic doctor on Star Trek Voyager.

Please state the nature of the medical emergency.

If he's that good he'll know already. :LOL:

RF Lighting said:
Reynardine said:

It will blow at 13.1A. It is a 13A fuse. 13A is the most it will allow. if it blew at 14A then it would be a 14A fuse ;)

The more you overload it, the quicker it will blow.

It may blow at 13.1A, it may blow at 12.9A, it may not blow even at 14A.
All fuses are not the same, Overcurrent protection may go down as well as up ! What I'm rambling about is that fuses, by their very nature, are not accurate to the level of 0.1amp, over any duration. Anyone know the tolerance on a 1362 fuse ?

It will not blow at all up to about 1.6x rated current.

Softus said:
If he's that good he'll know already. :LOL:
Eh?
He has access to the ship's medical databases, all the diseases, symptoms, cures, diagnoses, known to man. He also has access to the ship's scanners (at least in sick bay) so why does he need a medical triquarter and why does he ask questions?? :LOL:

Anyway, we digress . . .

Crafty said:
He also has access to the ship's scanners (at least in sick bay) so why does he need a medical triquarter and why does he ask questions?
Er, simply because he needs to take measurements, and gather information, that wouldn't be available without a tricorder and without asking questions.

That much seems obvious to me - am I missing something in the thrust of your argument? :confused:

I thought the reason was to identify the symptoms?

who knows the difference between a sign and a symptom?

JohnD said:
I thought the reason was to identify the symptoms?
Me too; yours is a neat and single-worded equivalent of my saying "measurements and information". ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back