13 Amp Sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can someone tell me if 13amp sockets in a domestic ring main have to be single or double pole switched. Can't find info in the On Site Guide for 16th Edition. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
DP is marginally safer???

I would say that DP is a LOT safer given the number of incorrectly wired plugs I find.

DP preferable, and what I always spec.

SP is pretty much the norm, but somewhat lacking as some appliances are not classed as isolated unless by both poles.

Unswitched is a bit of a no-no and typically only used for sockets behind fridge/freezers and the like where the isolation is provided by an FCU or the like.

Sponsored Links
DP is marginally safer???

I would say that DP is a LOT safer given the number of incorrectly wired plugs I find.

What are the reasons? The one that springs to mind is they isolate both poles hence an RCD will reset if it is switched off with something dodgy attached. Any more?

Thanks for your all your answers, I agree. I have always used single pole switched sockets, but I want to know where is it in the IEE 16th edition that says double pole sockets are to be used. The Electrician who is testing my rewire is stipulating that should use double pole switched sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back