13A Socket underneth a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Was doing a PIR today and found a 13a ring socket mounted underneath a radiator really close to the floor. The socket is just a bog standed 2 gang socket on a surface mount backbox.

I seem to remember something in the regs about accessories being placed near to water but can't seem to find it now in the regs.

I did find the bit in 522.3 but I would have thought that it could only be classified as an AD1 which in turn means IPX0 witch means no additional protection.

But it just seems wrong and asking trouble, can anyone point me in the right direction??

Thanks
Luke

Sponsored Links
Is heat from the radiator affecting the socket in any way, shape of form? I don't think there is such a thing as where there is water inside a radiator, pipe or tank that you can't have electrics anywhere near unless one is detremental to the other.

No, nither heat nor water is causing any problems with the socket and their are no signs to say that water leakage has been a problem.

it just seems a stupid place to put a socket as if their ever was a problem the socket would offer no additional protection.

I agree it is a daft place to put a socket (or more likely the socket was there first!)
What is the risk of the radiator leaking? My radiators are 20+ years old and I've not had one leak yet.

Sponsored Links
This is in a venue used by kids ie. open to the general puplic but i take your point.

L.

Where do the wires run from the socket?
Up the wall behind the radiator?

they run horiz in surface mount trunking.

Many thanks for your input, I must have been thinking about something else when I thought i had seen something before in the regs.

Thanks again
Luke.

I thought it would best be 150mm away.

Anyway I install plumbing and electrics and that's how I work, accessories minimum 150mm away from copper or metal water carying parts.
Cable 50mm away if you can if not 25mm if you can't manage that insulate pipe and if it's hot put it above cable.

I could make a living just moving sockets from under radiators. The sockets were there first as wylex then changed to mk pattern then radiators fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back