13a socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a new 13a socket which will run approx 2.5 metres from
the ceiling to the socket box. I will channel out the plaster and the question is what would I shield the cable with to prevent anyone in years to come drilling through to the cable?
:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
The cable should be installed in a recognised safe zone (in your case it must run vertically from the ceiling to the box).

As it is in the safe zone, someone in the future should be aware of where the cable will be.

Having said tha, not many DIYers know about this and drill away anywhere they like. To help them save themselves the recent regulations state that any cable buried less than 50mm feom the surface should be protected by an RCD.

So, in answer to your question. Install the cable in a safe zone and have the circuit protected by an RCD (you may need an electrician to sort the second bit out for you...

Well, if the cable runs in a straight vertical line from the socket to the ceiling, (or within another permitted zone) that should be enough of a clue as to the location of a buried cable.

But it often isn't!

Outside of using surface trunking, the only way to do this effectively is to use steel conduit, but you'll have to channel deeper to accomodate this, and it isn't ideal for twin&earth cable. Besides, what about the rest of the drops to the rest of the sockets and switches in your house?

I think what you might be getting at is galvanised steel capping or sheathing, this provides sodd all protection from masonry drills and nails, only the plasterers trowel, but is considered best practice all the same, it also makes finding cable runs easier with a metal detector.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back