14.8 roof pitch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, I'm achieving 14.8 degree pitch, am I worrying over nothing as it's almost 15 degrees or should I do what I can (substantial work required) to achieve 15 degrees?

Sponsored Links
I'm hoping for a slate looking finish, Cambrian or Eternit thrutone fibre cement slate also with velux

What are you using to measure an angle to tenths of a degree?

Normal tolerance is to within 1°

Sorry to be vague but I don't know. My neighbour and I are both building a single storey extension, he's got someone else in and slightly ahead of me, I'm not at that stage yet, ideally I want us to lay the roof as one, that's the pitch his builder advised. maybe he meant just under 15 degrees.

Sponsored Links
last time I had to do it , it was in minutes and seconds and a book of logs:notworthy:

Hey, don't knock the squinted eye, thumb and stick method. :mad: That was used long before you whippersnappers and your log tables and fancy trigonometry came along.

For the OP though, don't worry about one fifth of a degree - your angle finder is not that accurate anyway. And a degree either way won't make much difference

The deflection in the rafters would be more significant than 1/5th of a degree.

I had an issue with a roof that had cambrians specced years ago and Redland technical said they would probably be ok as low as 12 degrees anyway

You should be OK but if your using slate you should use permavent easy slate strips

Don't use Cambrians. I have had nothing but problems with my roof at 15 degrees. I would use a tile that has a few degrees extra to give you a bit of guarantee they might actually keep the rain out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back