16mm SWA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of a friend is building a garden workshop / play room. He has another friend who is a sparks and has advised him to fit 16mm2. SWA cable back to the consumer unit. This seems a bit chunky for a garden room. His house is a small modern 2 bed.

Why would a sparky suggest such large cable? I reckon he probably has a max (absolute max) of 20A.

Any ideas.

Sponsored Links
There are lots of factors.

The load is one. Distance is another.
Maybe your friend of a friend hasn't revealed the full story. Does he have future plans for a sauna, shower, mig welder, engine hoist maybe some heating??

In any event. This is a new circuit and notifiable, so I guess the spark will be the one who signs the document that says he has designed installed and tested the new circuit. So I'd leave it to him/her.

whssign.gif

Yeah, find out the distance from the consumer unit in the first instance. It does sound overkill but without more details hard to comment!

Sponsored Links
12M from consumer unit to garden room/workshop. Its just two small-ish rooms within a 15m2 timber unit, insulated with 75mm rockwool, so U-value will be around 0.5-0.75 is my guess. So a couple of fan heaters, (say 4kw) TV and bits.. say another kw and lights. Max would be about 6-7kw, but that is with everything on at the same time.

Digging up the garden to fit a larger one in the future
Installing a duct for the cable allows replacement without digging.

A second duct for circuits such as phone, alarm, remote control, etc etc and other ELV equipment can be ( should be ) installed when the trench is dug

[20A] is completely different to [6-7kW, aka ~30A]
I guess that depends upon what 'completely different' means - the latter is certainly about 50% more.

Although I agree with you that using larger cable will have little financial impact for such a short run, even if I take 'future proofing into account, if all other things are equal and there are not things we haven't been told (either of which may not be true!), 16mm² does seem a bit OTT for a 30A load. I wonder if there are perhaps extraneous-c-ps in the outbuilding and that the cable size was suggested so that it would be adequate for bonding if the house's earth is exported?

Kind Regards, John

10mm should be more than adequate! Much easier to work with too

10mm should be more than adequate! Much easier to work with too
I suppose it's all relative, but I have to say that once SWA gets bigger than 4mm², certainly bigger than 6mm², it feels more like plumbing than electrical installation to me!

Kind Regards, John

Why would a sparky suggest such large cable? I reckon he probably has a max (absolute max) of 20A.

Any ideas.

Maybe he or she is planning to take the feed off the main incoming tails at the main consumer unit, to feed a new consumer unit in the workshop.

it's being installed in to a spare module on the consumer unit. I haven't seen the current CU, but i'd expect it to have a max load of 100A. With at least 50 of that used up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back