16th century traditional kent cottage - filled eaves but breathable roof membrane - an issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Appreciate the golden rule of eaves - is to keep them clear. A year ago I moved into a 16th Century Kent cottage (listed) - with 'kent peg tile' roof. Eaves cut into the upstairs room space - so the usual 'how do I insulate my roof whilst allowing it to breath' situation.

Previous owners had an extension approx 15 years ago and looks like they used it as an opportunity to replace the old roof felt with something breathable. Extension roofspace has kingspan down eaves with a decent air gap for ventilation.

The rest of the roof (bearing in mind there will be timbers going from 100-400 years old) has had insulation pushed down the eaves - and there's around 300mm across the main roof space. Getting it out the eaves (and potentially replacing with something creating an air gap) would be a very long job - and in some places over 6 feet to reach. It's another question as to why they didn't do a proper job when they had the tiles off.

I've regularly looked for signs of moisture or dampness - visible, under insulation, etc - and there's been none - even during the recent cold spell where we were at below freezing for a week. We do vent the house well to avoid moisture build up - and I guess the existing breathable membrane is doing some of the work.

I've attached photos in case anyone can spot something I can't - but at present can't see this as a burning issue (the old woodworm is eradicated) - and would appreciate pragmatic advice on what to do - leave it? keep an eye on it? or something else. I've also removed some of the insulation down the eaves - and again - no sign of moisture build up.

Suggestions appreciated.

extension - kingspan and air gap.jpg

Attachments

• old beams - eaves covered.jpg
    old beams - eaves covered.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 35
  • eaves covered.jpg
    eaves covered.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 39
  • eaves covered 2.jpg
    eaves covered 2.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 38
  • close up of old beams against roof membrane.jpg
    close up of old beams against roof membrane.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 47
  • close up of old beams against roof membrane 2.jpg
    close up of old beams against roof membrane 2.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 35
  • close up of old beams against roof membrane 3.jpg
    close up of old beams against roof membrane 3.jpg
    508.1 KB · Views: 45
Sponsored Links
Props between felt laps to hold them apart. If you see a concerning amount of buildup, you could install dedicated vent slates or/and a mechanical vent on a wall?

MVHR in the house to provide ventilation without throwing all your heat to the atmosphere..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back