17 edition consumer units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Somewhere in the 17 regs it states "a fault in a circuit shold not effect the operation of other circuits" so surely split boards do not comply with the 17th edition , only a board with rcbo's would comply. So would a split board fail an inspection and test ???

Sponsored Links
Not the wording of the regs- think you are meaning regulation set 314 which is basically about minimising hazards and inconvenience in the event of a fault.
You can look at if from the POV of what is the hazard/inconvenience associated with the loss of a lighting circuit and socket circuit within the same area, if you are using a something like a drill for example and the lights go out there is a hazard so it is a good idea to put sockets and lights on separate RCDs. Also if you lose a lighting circuit and the RCD won't reset then at least you still have sockets in that area where you can plug lamps in etc.
Using full out RCBOs is the best way to comply, however cost is going to be the deciding factor.
Another option would be to to use the old type of split load CU with RCBOs on the non-RCD side for the likes of the lighting circuits.

Maybe someone else here read the same article as me (can't find it at mo) but it referred to fully compliant CUs have each cct on RCBOs and a partially compliant CU splitting the installation across two or more RCDs.

The latter being recognised as a practical/economic way, as the price and availabilty of RCBOs is still a problem.

Sponsored Links
Brought this subject up at my last annual assessment, I was told dual rcd boards are seen as compliant ( as long as you arranged the circuits sensibly ie. upstairs sockets on same rcd as downstairs lights etc) However I would, as a minimum, always fit a high-integ dual rcd board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back