installing a consumer unit in acordance with 17th regs

what's the odds that you have table lamps and such though?
At this moment in time I have 3 table lamps (with CFLs) on, the telly on and the kitchen light burning away
also, what about bungalows or flats where there is only one lighting circuit?
Keep the sockets and lights on different RCDs for starters, it will depend on how big a dwelling it is as to the amount of circuits. A single room bedsit might only need one lighting circuit as there is little more you can do - I suppose an emergency light wouldn't go amiss. Larger dwellings would ideally have a number of circuits.
with filament lamps becoming obsolete ( or I read somewhere maybe even illegal ), then what do CFL's do to breakers and RCD's when they go?
CFLs just refuse to strike up.

Sponsored Links
10 way board with 10 RCBOs - £190
5+5 dual RCD with 10mcbs - £100

I'll have the RCBOs please.

They have a good system in North America where first outlet on a circuit can have a built-in RCD. Then every outlet downstream on the same circuit is automatically RCD protected.

So not only are the circuits on seperate RCDs, but they can be reset in the room where the fault is, so need to find the fusebox.

Sponsored Links
They have a good system in North America where first outlet on a circuit can have a built-in RCD. Then every outlet downstream on the same circuit is automatically RCD protected.

So not only are the circuits on seperate RCDs, but they can be reset in the room where the fault is, so need to find the fusebox.
Trouble is if they introduced it over here some numpty would connect one side of the ring to the source terminals of the RCD and one side of the ring to the load terminals.

Also our convention of using 32A socket circuits would mean a pretty beefy RCD would be needed.

I guess you could run pyro/SWA/flexishield to a 2 module box with a RCD in and run your sockets from there but it gets a little pricy (not a bad idea for say a workshop though since it would double up as providing a way to isolate the whole room).

I raised the point because my late in-laws lived in warden controlled accommodation and the local council rewired and fitted C U's with rccd main switches and didnt bother telling the occupants what to do in the event of a trip. After a number of complaints they eventually replaced them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back