17ed Wiring Changes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Just had my council's electrical subcontractor round to get a feel for the rewire I am undertaking and he basically said when the 17ed comes into effect in July (I think), ALL cables (unless 50mm deep in the wall) will have to be protected to the same standard as the existing non-horizontal/vertical drops (eg diagonal)- eg using earthed steel conduit.

Is this really correct - sounds wrong to me!

He did say the as I have started the work under the 16ed, I will only have to comply with the 16ed.

Sponsored Links
Cables less than 50mm deep, not mechically protetced and not surrounded by an earthed screen suitable for use as a CPC, are still allowed providing they are within prescribed zones (and additionally for the 17th, protected by a 30ma in installations not under supervision of skilled folk)

So, what it means in reality, is a load of new designs of board comming out that have two banks of RCD protected MCBS (and an unprotected way for an RCBO for the smokes)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back