17mm O/D black plastic pipe (once again!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen this come up time and time again on different websites, but I'm seeing a lot of different solutions posted.

What we have is a ~17mm O/D black plastic pipe (the I/D seems to be slightly under 15mm. From what I've read this pipe was commonly used for 1970s council houses) bringing the cold water mains into the house, and we need to reduce this to a 15mm copper pipe and put in a new stopcock also.

We've tried a number of things over the weekend as a temporary and pemanenet solution and got nowhere. Now I've got some advice from a family friend who is a plumber, he said that a universal coupler would do the job.

From reading stuff on here and other websites I've seen other suggestions like banging 15mm copper pipe down inside the 17mm plastic pipe, to welded joints being used.

What would be the easiest solution? The problem is that there is now no stopcock at all, just where the black plastic pipe comes out from under the house, and 15mm copper pipe which came from the old stopcock and into a 15mm bleed valve. There is nothing currently in between connecting the pipes. We need to get this fixed back together pretty quick.

Sponsored Links
Have a look for philmac transition couplings

You will need a plumbers merchant for this

I'm going to visit one or some others in the week, as only the B&Qs and Wickes of this world are open on Sundays. (I'm not sure when I'll get the time in the week, though. :rolleyes:)

So a Universal Transition Coupling is the way to go? What method do these UTCs use for connection? Is it a compression joint?

EDIT: Just watched the video on Philmac website. Man I feel like this thread was pointless now. It's so easy to find this information once I have proper internet access here, rather than relying on trying to use the web browser on my phone while I was at the other house...

Sponsored Links
There are alot of these mains around here

You need a insert to 15 mm copper aswell

Just explain what u want in a plumbers merchant and they will find the stuff.

IMO philmac are the best tho because you don't need various sizes of inserts for different poly pipes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back