Black plastic water supply pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a flat which was built in the seventies. It has a black plastic incoming water supply pipe (about 17mm ext. diameter).

Whilst trying to open the copper stopcock attached to it I split the pipe! I have now removed the stopcock and it appears that there is a black plastic fitting which is a bit like a tap connector solvent welded (?) onto the pipe. The pipe/fitting is then held to the stopcock by a copper nut.

I have cut the pipe at the split, but now I need another of these solvent weld fittings to finish the repair. Are they available or is there an alternative fitting I have to use.

Sponsored Links
What you have is a manipulative fitting so designed to stop it pulling apart.
Best thing to do is get an alkathene adapter (17 mm to 15 mm ) and fit it to your plastic pipe. Put a small length of copper in the 15 mm end and attach a new 15 mm stoptap to it.

Plumbers merchants or Travis Perkins will stock these fittings, but take a small piece of pipe with you to be sure. :D

Sponsored Links
dont quote me on it but acorn rings a bell
sorry Kev I had to quote you - I`m just living in the 70`s still , man . and uh like it`s mushroom time of year . Yeah - Happy Solstice man ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back