17th Ed Training - I'm confused!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do I need a new certification?
Do I need any further training?
What training do I need?

I have read an NICEIC publication that says .... "Whether you require formal training and a recognized qualification or just want an overview of the changes, we have a range of solutions."
Well do I need training and updated certificate or not mr NICEIC?

Well I have looked on the NICEIC and IET web sites and I can't find anything that tells me for definite that I will need a new certificate for 17th edition. It's either 2392 from scratch or 'overview' workshops.

I am one of those hybrid 'glorified kitchen fitters' (as someone on here descibed it). A Domestic Installer.
The only regs that will really affect my day to day workings are the buried cables/RCD and bathroom/RCD bits.
Surely I'm not going to have to pay another £500+ to listen to 30 minutes of useful info and come out with another bit of paper?

Does anyone know for certain?

Sponsored Links
You mention 2392 and 17th edition.
Do you mean 2392 Inspection, testing and certification or 2382 17th edition wiring regulations?

If you've got 2391 then I don't think you have to do 2392.

The NICEIC will insist you do the 2382 sooner rather than later but you should only need to do the one day update course (i think this is now called 2382-20).

Sponsored Links
If you passed your 2381 after 2001 then you can do the update course which lasts for one day.
If you passed your 2381 prior to 2001 then you must do the full course which lasts for three days.

An assessment only option is available to ECS gold-card holders or suitably qualified platinum card holders.
This assessment relys on self study so all you do is go straight into the exam.

I've got an ECS gold-card but will still do the one day course.

Thanks guys

I passed an EAL Domestic Installers course in 2003 which I was assured by NIC was 2381 equivalent. I will double check with them to make sure what this means for 2382.

Confusion and opinion reigns on ambiguous statements from the authorities and bodies as usual.

Thanks again

Do report back when the NIC tell you which course you need to do.
I did the same EAL course eleven months ago and joined ELECSA. They are now telling me I need to do a full course, less that a year from doing the original. I cant believe its going to take three days to explain the changes relevant to “domestic” installations.
Maybe I will be changing scheme providers.!

Just to update after further investigation....
ELECSA now say I only need to have a copy of the 17th and an understanding of the changes to carry on working to the new regs.
No formal training will be required until around 2010, although they recommend attending a seminar.
Anyone know what the other schemes are doing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back