18 flats wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi im a domestic installer and have been asked to quote to rewire 18 flats over 3 floors.
New 19 supplys in the basement(1 for landlord)
Is it a overkill to take 25mm cable to each flat CU?

Sponsored Links
The usual questions to start:
- what size are these flats
- what's the loading for each flat
- all electric or is gas/other present
- where will metering be located (basement or in each flat)
- what's actually been supplied by the DNO (or will be supplied)
- where does DNO equipment end, and BNO equipment start
- what provision for EV charging will there be

Hi im a domestic installer
Have you done any commercial installations before?

DNO has suoplied 100amp each
Is that a fuse carrier with 100A on it, or actual 100A fuses?
You will need the written specification for the new supply, not just what fuses may or may not be present.

Sponsored Links
All 19 fuses are 100amp. Awaitin meters.

All meters in a basement communal area.
No gas just electric. 12 2 bedroom and 6 1 bedroom flats

No EV

The furthest flats from th meter will be prob 25m plus

A likely option would be (for each flat supply) a metal enclosure with DP isolator, 63A fuse and at least 1 spare space for an MCB which could be used in the future for an EV charger, with 3 core 16mm² SWA from that to the flat.
Landlord supply to a suitably sized consumer unit.

However does depend on exactly what will be in each flat. Stored hot water would be preferable to electric showers or other instant water heaters.

I would say the best way is to have the meters in the basement as planned, and get the DNO to run their own cable from here to their own cut out thingy in the flat.

You will need to run ducting in for them though.

Probably too late now if they've already fitted some equipment, so you've probably got 18 flats worth of faffing about +1.

Last edited:
They have fitted the trunking with 19 supplies in the basement. Need to fit main fuses and take cable to CU in the flats

I would say the best way is to have the meters in the basement as planned, and get the DNO to run their own cable from here to their own cut out thingy in the flat.

You will need to run ducting in for them though.

Probably too late now if they've already fitted some equipment, so you've probably got 18 flats worth of faffing about +1.
I was thinking that, in the past I thought they run a concentric type cable to each flat and fitted one of them special Non fused cut outs, Red colour I recall.
Not sure normal Electricians would be allowed to do that themselves would they, are they even allowed to use that cable, the type including seperate Earth maybe,
Pretty sure we cannot use the Live and Neutral stuff as its forbidden for Non Dno to combine the Neutral and Earth, I believe.

AIUI Straight con has not been a suitable cable type for normal installation work for a very long time if ever. Split con would have been fine under the 16th, but since the live conductor is not fully surrounded by conductors designated earth it's not suitable for non-RCD protected concealed cabling under more recent regs.

No, but presumably would be ok if designed and installed by DNO.

But it sounds like it's too late now.

I'm a bit confused by that - I thought that DNOs would not get involved with anything on the consumer's side of their cutout, let alone on the consumer's side of the meter?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back