1860 build(damp)/bitumen and marley tiles/engineered floor ;-)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know the best solution is to either have someone scabble up the bitumen or dig and re-lay the subfloor...however, given the cost of doing that is 2-3K plus the cost of putting a liquid applied DPM down after I've been searching for other options.

It seems I need to remove the bitumen in order to apply most liquid DPMs as it needs to adhere to avoid hydrostatic pressure forcing water up between the subfloor and the DPM and/or making its way to the walls or anywhere else it decides. The bitumen residue prevents most things adhering I guess.

So why wouldn't I just apply another (more modern) bitumen based DPM instead ? i.e have the marley tiles removed, clean up the subfloor without trying to remove the residue, then apply something like RIW Heviseal which is bitumen based so presumably compatible with the existing bitumen.

Then put an underlay with built-in DPM for added value over that before the engineered floor...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back