1930's house loft insulation -vpl or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The eves of our loft are already insulated to about 300mm, the middle bit that is boarded and used for storage etc is boards screwed to the rafters ,so only 100mm if any at all.

I've been researching (sorry) my current plan is
Vcl
Insulation up to 300mm
Loft legs and reboard

The plan is lift the boards, clean the area (vacuum) check for nails, lay a vcl over and in-between the joists.
Using batts for the first layer then rolled rockwool type stuff.

The vapour control layer, understanding there are some expensive intillegent membranes out there, would I be ok using the same type of membrane that is under the tiles?
Ta Ray

Sponsored Links
would I be ok using the same type of membrane that is under the tiles?
The membrane that is under the tiles is likely breathable and not a VCL.

You don't need a VCL in a ventilated loft, don't need to check for nails or vacuum and rolled wool is typically obtainable in rolls that are pre perforated and can be torn into 400 or 600 wide before unrolling. If your rafter spacing are not a typical 400 or 600 then you can easily send a wood saw through the entire roll before you unroll it, to cut a custom width

Did my 1930s a couple of years ago.

Loft Legs work well.
They are only 175mm high so you should be using 170mm insulation with them. 270mm total.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back