1960s rafter/purlin roof - using binders to support a dormer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Haven't been on the forums in a while, but was wondering if someone could answer a simple question.

I'm planning for a dormer conversion, and my roof looks as attached.

I have three 2x5" binders that run from party wall to party wall. However, these sit above the ceiling joists (2x3") which go from wall plate to wall plate.

My question is, can a new floor be laid on top of the binders?

Because if I ran new I-beams, the new floor would have to sit above the binders raising the floor level.

Sponsored Links
My question is, can a new floor be laid on top of the binders?

No, because they are only there to prevent excessive deflection of the ceiling joists, and are not adequate to support floor loading.

If you use steel beams (which is the correct way) you can bolt a timber piece into the web so that you can use joist hangers to support the floor joists. That way, you don't compromise the headroom.

Thanks Tony.

I've actually appointed a structural engineer to complete plans and calculations, who has suggested removing the binders.

Regarding the electrics, is it common to have a separate circuit breaker for the loft, serving a new ring main, lighting ring and electric shower radial?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back