19th C Cottage - Insulating and Damp Proofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am after a bit of advice as I don't know who to contact. I have recently bought a cottage built in 1850. The original part of the house has no cavity wall - just two layers of brick, and I think it was not built on proper foundations. The house is very cold even with double glazing. I would like to reduce heat loss. Any suggestions? The rear of the building has a recent single storey extention.

Also on a separate note I have noticed bubbles in the new plaster which I can only think has resulted from water intake from under the brickwork due to lack of foundations. Any suggestions for solving this issue too?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If you have recently bought this, then there will probably have been a survey.

Does the survey specifically addreess what insulation the house has/does not have ?

Your chill has nothing to do with foundations/ or lack thereof.

if the rooms are large you could batton the external walls insulate then put plaster board over the top. if the rooms are small you are looking at external cladding? If the house is built on chalk it is likely that the original foundations are just wider brick walls which is normally fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back