1m SDS+ Bit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to get a cable (CAT6) though a very wide wall, its a recently built sports hall.

Externally its grey brick, then i presume a cavity and its breeze blocks on the inside.

My SDS drill isnt the most powerful, the only use it ever usually gets is going though house cavity walls.

I've noticed you can buy 1000mm SDS drill bits fairly cheap on ebay, am i asking too much for my 700W drill to make it though a wall like this?

I can get a drill bit for around £15, otherwise i'll have to hire a hilti.

Cheers,

Matt

Sponsored Links
I've bought these cheap, long SDS bits for occasional use and found they work fine. You're not risking much money, even if you have to throw them away after drilling a few holes.

Start drilling with a shorter bit, of course, then change to the longer one when you need to.

The length doesn't matter as such because the diameter of the hole will be the same as a normal drill bit i.e 10mm or whatever. You are still only cutting the same amount of material at one time.

The only effect a long drill bit has is that the drill has got to rotate a larger mass. This is what can put strain on the drill. To minimise this strain don't keep stop/starting the drill bit i.e keep a constant speed.

I've ordered one anyway, £20 quid for 3 cheap drills

Only other problem is im going to have to drill inside to out and its an "in view" wall i.e. someone will notice a huge chunk taken out of it.

I'm going to try and mark the bit to just under the width of the wall and then go to non hammer mode.

Destruction Ahoy!

Sponsored Links
I agree Danlight the length doesn't matter to the material removal; but it might be worth using a better quality (and stiffer) bit to start the hole, then change to the longer, possibly whippy, bit for the remainder. Just a thought.

Got them anyway, put a 16mm hole straight through the wall in no time at all.

Pretty good value for Just under £20, it something I'll only use once in a blue moon.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back