1st floor timbers question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We are currently building a 2 story extension and have hit a problem with the first floor timbers, Our WC pipe runs 7 foot along the wall and joins the main soil pipe. The 7ft of pipe is smack bang in the way of the new Joists. I have been told that we could put trimmers in, but surely 7ft is too much of a span to go around with trimmers????
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Nelliedee :(

Sponsored Links
can you move wc pipe to outside? or move toilet ? i would ask building control for advice before starting any work that involves anything not to the normal standard.

We cannot move the toilet, the only alternative I can think of is Lowering the WC pipe by 6 inches and it will then protrude into the downstairs kitchen ceiling area. Rather than box it in, maybe we could put a lowered ceiling in later on. It's such a pain.
does anyone know what the maximum span is when using trimmers to go round something, when putting in floor joists.
Nelliedee

just curious. how come the toilet waste is at floor level and not above it?

after all, a loo normally exits the pan at 4" or so above finished floor level, that is if it leaves the pan horizontally of course.

Sponsored Links
it does exit at about 4" above floor level and then it falls towards the main soil pipe. The fall, makes 3/4 of the pipe, run along where new joists would sit.

in 7 feet, a soil pipe only needs to fall 2" or so. can you not re-configure the pipe and fall so that it remains above joist level?

it would need boxing-in of course, within the first floor room.

Thanks I think that may work as the WC pipe drops quite considerably and there looks to be room to make it higher.
Nelliedee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back