2.15kw to a 32amp cooker unit ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
been looking on the forums and cant seem to get a straight answer
i have a electric oven 2.15kw and a gas hob electric ignition
my problem is i have a cooker control unit already in place which is 32amp (the large wide things) i have bought a 45a dp cooker unit with socket to get rid of the old unit
in the forums i have noticed that you cant connect the oven to a 32amp/45amp cooker unit do to the low rating of the oven
how do i downrate the ampage to suit the oven
the new 45a dp doesnt seem to a fuse for me to down rate

or can i connect a 13amp switched fused connection unit to the old cooker unit wiring so it still will be 32amp at fuse box but 13amp at socket for the oven

could anyone help

Sponsored Links
you can change the cooker outlet to a FCU and fuse it there. or you can change the MCB/fuse in CU to 16/15A

not_to_sure123 said:
hi
.... 13amp at socket for the oven

Do you mean you are going to keep the oven plug, and put it into a socket? If so, no need to add another fuse, as the oven plug (assuming UK) will have a 13amp cartridge fuse in it (I too have a gas hob and electric oven, the oven is rated at well below 13A so came with flex and UK fused plug)

You don't even need to use the cooker circuit if you don't want to, you could leave it in case one day you decide to buy an electric hob (which uses a lot of current) and you can plug the oven into any convenient socket.

Sponsored Links
hi john

ideally i dont want the oven or hob plugged (normal plug) in to a socket

plus ive have bought a new cooker unit 45amp
so looks like i will not need it

uless i change the fuse ampage in the fuse box?

I THINK IT MIGHT BE EASIER TO CHANGE THE BREAKER IN THE FUSEBOX TO A 20A
THE FUSE BOX IS A CRABTREE 6000
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A NEW BREAKER

2.15kW is about 9 Amps, so if you can get a 10A or 16A MCB that would be nearer. Somehow you want a note by the CU explaining what has been done and why, as it could easily be rerated for an electric cooker.

BTW the key you want is on the LHS of the keyboard, marked "Caps lock" ;)

Not_to_sure.....I would use a 16A MCB in the board, cut the plug of your oven and hardwire it into the cooker connection unit...

Big_Spark said:
Not_to_sure.....I would use a 16A MCB in the board, cut the plug of your oven and hardwire it into the cooker connection unit...

Sounds very sensible.

Is it this one? Be careful, some manufacturerss have several sizes and shapes

"Type B miniature circuit breaker,16A
RS Stock no: 175-845
In Stock "

go to http://rswww.com and "search" Crabtree MCB 16A

But I expect your local Electrical Supply co (maybe not high street DIY shed) will have or get it. S/be less than £10 inc.

so i will be changing mcb to 20amp?
put the new cooker control unit on (45amp dp and socket )?

connect oven to 20amp flex outlet ?
then flex outlet to cooker control unit ?
using 2.5m heat resistant flex in both cases ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back