2.5 mm Earth bond on msins water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a new rcbo CU installed. The gas is bonded OK but the mains water is on 2.5mm bond terminated into a ring maim socket.

Does this earth bonding need upgrading to pass to get a electrical certificate ?

Or can something be wrote on certain?

Sponsored Links
Just had a new rcbo CU installed. The gas is bonded OK but the mains water is on 2.5mm bond terminated into a ring maim socket.
You say the gas is ok - what is that or how do you know?

The water should be the same - 10mm² conductor from point of entry to the premises of metal pipe to the main earthing terminal.

Does this earth bonding need upgrading to pass to get a electrical certificate ?
Yes, probably.

Or can something be wrote on certain?
on certificate? No, put the bond right.

Property had combi installed years ago and tue combi is basically in a cupboard next to gas meter. So it has 10 mm on.

The water main is by sink and it just has a 2.5mm earth out of a kitchen ring socket onto main water.

Read on another site today . Some old kitchen use to be like this .

Sponsored Links
Property had combi installed years ago and tue combi is basically in a cupboard next to gas meter. So it has 10 mm on.
The bond should be (for metal pipe) from the point of entry to the premises (by the meter?) to the main earthing terminal.

The water main is by sink and it just has a 2.5mm earth out of a kitchen ring socket onto main water.
Ok.

Read on another site today . Some old kitchen use to be like this .
Whether they did or not, it is not good enough today.

Think you've got a backwards electrician...what he should of said was I wont be changing the consumer unit unless you agree to have the bonding upgraded first.

Electrician should have included the upgrade in his estimate/quote before he starting work.

Agreed.
A visual inspection should reveal some defects if present.
An EICR (PIR) should be undertaken , or a least in part, in order to reveal more defects if present.
Once corrected test again , if it then looks good then replace the consumer unit.

What should not be done is to replace the CU with known or unknown defects.

Inspect and test can sometimes be the major part of the job but should never be omitted and must be compared against the standards required today. If deemed unsatisfactory with a code C1 or C2 or FI then correct them.

Once the CU is changed then some Live tests must be undertaken too.

Hi

Yes the CU was changed before visual inspection or EICR carried out. The AFTER the cu was changed the earth bonding at 2.5mm on mains from socket ring was picked up. Then advised I have a fail unless earth is upgraded.

As you have had a new CU fitted, you should have an EIC - Electrical Installation Certificate (not an EICR).

An EIC does not have a pass or fail. It merely records details of the installation as it is.
If the electrician has noted on the EIC that the bonding is undersized then that is him recording that he has not done the job properly because, as stated, upgrading the bonding if required is part of the job.

Is it a rental property?

Well in my opinion that is not what a professional should do! Did you pay money?

Hi

I paid for consumer unit . Then he came back to do eicr as well as put lights on 2 x 6 amp fuses as he got one 6 amp and one 16 by mistake .

I have paid for consumer unit but not the eicr or earth. But the earth not done until Tiesdsy and unless I get it then I get a fail on Eicr and the property cannot be let out.

Catch 22

As you have had a new CU fitted, you should have an EIC - Electrical Installation Certificate (not an EICR).

An EIC does not have a pass or fail. It merely records details of the installation as it is.
If the electrician has noted on the EIC that the bonding is undersized then that is him recording that he has not done the job properly because, as stated, upgrading the bonding if required is part of the job.

Is it a rental property?
Yes it's a rental.

Well in my opinion that is not what a professional should do! Did you pay money?
Yes paid for consumer unit. Then he found fault on bonding after install. And also a fault on down stairs ring and has to split them to radials.

Costing me a fee for bonding upgrade
Fee for 20 amp fuses to split ring 32 amp to radial .

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back