2.5mm cable for induction hob

Hi thanks for all advice, have found a possible route for 6mm cable.

Consumer unit then understairs otherside of stairs have just finished laying + grouting replica 40mm thick flagstone flooring.

Chisel out soft cement along the edge of wall and floor. 40mm + cement bedding run cable along and cement/grout over and come out under kitchen / hob unit.

This will give me a 6mm + 2.5mm for the original hob that requires 10.8kw and 50amp conn.

However only space for 1rcd in consumer unit ? I presume a new consumer unit or 50 rcd with 6mm + 2.5mm feed to hob

Sponsored Links
Hi have a problem, lookin for answer, have run a 2.5mm 2core + earth cable from consumer unit (cable not connected yet) to point /area for worktop hob pref induction not yet purchased.
When you applied for Building Regulations approval, what did you say would be the way you would comply with Part P?

Chisel out soft cement along the edge of wall and floor. 40mm + cement bedding run cable along and cement/grout over and come out under kitchen / hob unit.
And that will comply with 522.6.6, will it?

This will give me a 6mm + 2.5mm for the original hob that requires 10.8kw and 50amp conn.
And that will comply with 433.4.2 and 434.4 and 523.8, will it?

However only space for 1rcd in consumer unit ? I presume a new consumer unit or 50 rcd with 6mm + 2.5mm feed to hob
Please stop presuming and start accepting that you are nowhere near competent enough to be doing this work, that in fact you are dangerous, and that for you to do it is stupid and illegal.

You need to get an electrician ASAP to sort out the mess you've made and to stop you making it any worse.

I guess its a larger consumer unit with 32amp rcd 16 amp rcd and apply 522.6.7

i am only laying the cable and not making any connections

Sponsored Links
But you aren't just "laying the cable", you are attempting to make design and installation decisions when you are ignorant and incompetent.

And who will make the connections?

What will you do if he says "no way"?

Will you be expecting him to sign documents to say that he did all of the work, including design and installation?

Did you notify this work before you started, or are you hoping to get a registered electrician to lie for you, or are you hoping not to be bitten in the future by lack of a Building Regulations certificate?

not alot of design req 1 appliance
manufacturer of hob specifies what is required 32amp + 16amp connection,
cable to suit as spec by cable manufacturer

consumer unit rcd`s to suit as spec of manufacturer to ensure the safety of the circuit

not alot of design req 1 appliance
manufacturer of hob specifies what is required 32amp + 16amp connection,
cable to suit as spec by cable manufacturer

consumer unit rcd`s to suit as spec of manufacturer to ensure the safety of the circuit

True - but since you don't seem to appreciate the differences between an RCD, an MCB and an RCBO, it is more design than you are competent to do.

Perhaps I should rephrase my question. Can not the electronics inside the induction hob contribute considerably to the tripping of RCDs in the same or similar way that IT equipment and inverter motor controls can. Thus forcing the designer of the circuit to consider the possiblllity that RCDs may trip without there being a fault?

IT equipment, AV equipment and motor control inverters all deliberately dump the "noise" that is on the mains already, or created by the thing itself, to earth through filters..

as far as I know, induction hobs don't care how dirty the mains is..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back