2 additional lights from 1 switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to wire two additional lights from 1 switch in my garage. I have seen guides from ceiling roses and have done this before but not managed to find a guide from a switch. Thanks

Sponsored Links
you will hava a problem as there will not be a neutral at the switch. the cable at the switch will contain only a live and switchwire. do you want all lights to be switched at the same time ?

Sponsored Links
The original light is a nightmare to get too so I don't know yet if I can get an additional wire in. If I can I will do so.

Cheers

windowleaper said:
The original light is a nightmare to get too so I don't know yet if I can get an additional wire in. If I can I will do so.
If you can't, then you can't have more lights, as you won't have a neutral.

if you can get to the cable feeding the existing light, you can connect in a junction box then a cable down to a new switch and a cable to the new lights. it may be easier
have a look at the sticky at the begining of the forum for comon lighting circuit arrangements.

A junction box is the way to go. The original cable turns out to be a 3 plus earth and I just bought 2 plus earth. Had a look at the diagrams but couldn't see how to wire up the junction box with a 3+ to a 2+. Hope this make sense

where can you see the 3+ earth cable end? at the fuseboard or the light?
if you look at the first picture in the 'sticky' and think of the first ceiling rose as a junction box and the cable going upwards as the same as the cable going downwards (ie. 2+ earth). the cable going upwards would be to your new light, the cable going downwards to your new switch.

clear as mud ?

Nope I don't understand. The 3 way+ runs from the switch to the existing light (which I can not get acess into to connect another cable to the second light). I will have to fit a junction box in the middle of this cable. Question 1 can I just run my 2+ cable to the second light from the junction box or do I need to put in a switch? Question 2 what does the yellow wire connect to in the junction box apart from the yellow to the original light. All other wires go to that of the same colour?

can you see where the wires connect to in the switch? (C,L1,L2)
if you are going to connect a junction box it needs to be in the cable that goes from the fuseboard to the light

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back