2 circuits down one 4core and earth cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello there!!

does anyone know if it is within the regs to run 2 seperate circuits down one 4 core and earth cable woth both sharing the cpc?

I.E

Run a lenghth of 2.5mm 4core & earth FP200

- Use one pair as live and neutral for a 16A circuit and the other pair as live and neutral for a 6A circuit both using the same single 2.5mm cpc?

Sponsored Links
No this is not allowed in the regs. Each final circuit must have its own cpc sized in accordance with the live conductors.

Qedelec said:
No this is not allowed in the regs. Each final circuit must have its own cpc sized in accordance with the live conductors.

You sure about that QED? :confused:

BS7671 said:
543-01-02 Where a protective conductor is common to several circuits, the cross-sectional area of the protective conductor shall be:

(i) Calculated in accordance with Regulation 543-01-03 for the most onerous of the values of fault current and operating time encountered in each of the various circuits, or

(ii) Selected in accorance with Regulation 543-01-04 as to correspond to the cross-sectional area of the largest phase conductor of the circuits.

If the op is using 2.5 for the live conductors for two circuits then 1.5 is not going to be adequate as a combined cpc for both finals.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't FP200 use an aluminium cpc? So add that into the equation.

Sponsored Links
I stand corrected it is tinned copper. but its still 1.5mm and that don't sound adequate.

Does 2.5 as the main earthing conductor for a TT supply sound adequate?

But in a TT system the earth current is limited by the trip current of the incomer |(RCD 100ma). I think 2.5mm will be OK to carry that...

TTC

Depends on whether these two circuits are RCD protected or not.

You can do this with no problems. You must label accessories where two protective devices independently feed it though.

QED - It is common practice to share CPC's in conduit/trunk wiring. If you ran a 2.5mm socket radial circuit, a 1.5mm lighting circuit, and a 2.5mm radial to a water heater, you could happily use a 2.5mm earth.

You could even use a 1.5mm earth, but it is common practice with singles to size LNE the same sizes.

think of it this way..

in a 3 phase circuit you only have 1 earth.. not one for each phase..

the logic is that in the event of a fault, it is extremely unlikely that 2 or more phases would come into contact with the earth at exactly the same time..

since they are obviously going to the same place though, can you not just fit a 4mm² 20A radial and fuse down for the lights? saves expensive cable too...

Lectrician said:
You must label accessories where two protective devices independently feed it though.

Like hall/landing switches? ;)

Is that a regulation?

Qedelec said:
I stand corrected it is tinned copper. but its still 1.5mm and that don't sound adequate.
A 1.5mm² CPC is OK in most instances when used in 2.5mm² twin and earth fed from a 32A MCB i.e. in a spur on a ring final circuit. As long as it passes the adiabatic equation it is fine.
securespark said:
Lectrician said:
You must label accessories where two protective devices independently feed it though.

Like hall/landing switches? ;)

Is that a regulation?
Possibly 461-01-03, although it may be argued that turning off the main switch isolates both supplies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back