2 circuits in one cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im wiring some intermediate switches, which are to be upstairs and not 'between' the 2 way ones which are downstairs at either end of the hall. The neatest way to wire everything up would involve running a twin and earth (2 brown cores) containing the common wires for both the hall (downstairs light main) and landing (upstairs light main).

Can anyone confirm if there is a reg on this? Im thinking as the switches are going to contain multiple circuits and a warning sticker that this should be ok?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
I don't like the idea of having two separately fused circuits in the same cable on a domestic, imho it would be better to run the in separate cables. I am slightly confused in what you are wanting to do, can you post a diagram?

I share your reservations, hence the question.

I will try and post a diagram, but don't have time to do one right now.

Essentially the setup is as follows:

Either end of hall downstairs is a 3 gang switch.
Upstairs on the landing a 2 gang intermediate.

The Porch, Hall and landing lights can be switched from downstairs, at either end of the hall.

The landing and hall light can be switched from either end of the hall and the landing upstairs.

Because of space constraints, and the intermediate being slightly different in style to the 3 gangs (can you get MK 2 gang grids that have the screws horisontally? ), the intermediate needs to remain upstairs.

So, (not counting CPC's) between the hall switches, there will be 5 wires. so i was going to run 3 core for the porch light that is only 2 way switched. Then for the remaining 2 wires (the commons between the 2 way switches) run 2 core. Obviously there will be all the wires going upstairs from each switch as well to the intermediates...

I am partially understanding what you are saying, would be better iwth the diagram though :D . The grid mounting screws inside the switch frame are normally horizontal - the screws which hold the front plate to the frame are vertical for 2 gang switches, horizontal for single gang.
What is the reason for using grid?
Where is the porch light getting the neutral from?

Sponsored Links
I am partially understanding what you are saying, would be better iwth the diagram though :D . The grid mounting screws inside the switch frame are normally horizontal - the screws which hold the front plate to the frame are vertical for 2 gang switches, horizontal for single gang.
What is the reason for using grid?
Where is the porch light getting the neutral from?

Thanks for bearing with me Spark123! will see if i can get a diagram up tomorrow morning.

Im using grid as I need a 2 gang intermediate switch in the MK logic plus style, and AFAIK MK don't do a double intermediate, infact even their single intermediate seems to use a grid switch combined with a different face plate. Wish they had made the screws the other way round though, as it doesn't half look odd.

The porch light is going to be part of the downstairs light main, infact it will be the first light as the CU is in the (enclosed) porch.

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back