2" cistern outlet valve threads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
this one is driving me mad

I need to replace the outlet valve in a concealed Macadee cistern. After a couple of false starts at B & Q I bought a universal valve from a good plumber's merchant.

The touble is that the old valve which I believe is obsolete has a 2" by 8 tpi thread and the new one is 11 tpi so the old compression nut doesn't fit. The new outlet only comes with a fixing nut and the plumbers merchant couldn't suggest anything to fit, They did have a flexible flush pipe kit but that had the coarse thread too.

Does anyone know where I can get a compression nut that will fit?

Sponsored Links
The new outlet only comes with a fixing nut

so fit the new nut.
they all come with their nuts/washer needed to fit
are you talking about the flush pipe nut ?

should of stuck with the macdee they would of had a replacement for your older model.

The new outlet only comes with a fixing nut

so fit the new nut.
they all come with their nuts/washer needed to fit
are you talking about the flush pipe nut ?

should of stuck with the macdee they would of had a replacement for your older model.

Yes it is the flush pipe nut that I need. I didn't want the MacDee valve as the cable design was flawed IMO although I wish I had gone to MacDee now. I notice the current Macdee valve is much more like most others on the market now with the cable above the water line.

I would have thought that the plumbers merchant would have a flushpipe nut to fit the outlet valves they sell, did I maybe ask the wrong person?

Thanks for the quick reply.

did you show him what you wanted ?
as you'll find it's more likely 1 1/2" not 2"

Sponsored Links
did you show him what you wanted ?
as you'll find it's more likely 1 1/2" not 2"

Yes, it is definitely 2" at least nominally. There is a 1 1/2 " base supplied with it as an alternative which has a fatter washer for close coupled applications. the 2" one is illustrated in the instructions fitted to a low level cistern and it has pipe stops inside the outlet.

There is little room in the installation for anything but the Mac Dee special 2"/11/2" flush pipe which is more or less a 90 degree affair.

It is just the theard pitch that is the problem. I don't mind buying some flushpipe kit or other if it has the fine threaded gland nut, if that is the right term.

i get you now, as you say you have the 2" to 1 1/2" flush pipe.

not being up on thread pitches and tpi the 11 tpi seams more standard than an 8 tpi.

heres one.

DUDLEY SPARES.

i get you now, as you say you have the 2" to 1 1/2" flush pipe.

not being up on thread pitches and tpi the 11 tpi seams more standard than an 8 tpi.

heres one.

DUDLEY SPARES.

Thanks, I will try them. At least they supply it with their cisterns I should have bought from them.

Most of the outlets I've found on the net say BSP and 2" BSP is 11 TPI. The early one must have some foreign thread. The thread is flat bottomed and round topped as opposed to angular.

Thanks for your help, I feel I might be getting somewhere now. :)

Just struck lucky, Plumb Centre stock Dudley but not this item but they did have a loose one kicking round the stores which I got for £2.00 ! :D

Yes it is still working even now after all this time. I haven't been on the forum for a while as I got flamed over something so didn't come back for a while.

The short flush could do with adjusting but apart from that it's fine. Once I got it sealing properly I didn't want to mess about with it having had such a faf with it. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back