2 damp problems.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, its my first post, so please do forgive me if im asking the obvious or on a wrong subforum. I also moved to UK - where I bought a terrace - quite recently and Im not really familiar with building solutions that were common practice in the last 50 years.

i've got 2 separate damp problems in my house. House itself is end terrace, from around 1950, with cavity brick wall.

problem 1. I ve noticed a line of damp exactly in the room above ground floor, above my garden door - the lenght of the damp is exactly the same as the lenght of the door. The door has a lintel formed from the brickwork. I inspected the external wall above the door and there were some cracks in the mortar - which i repaired by removing the old mortar and adding new.
Is it possible that the damp was caused by the water going inside the cavity through the gaps, or is it rather a case of cold bridging on brick lintel or maybe a water drippin down the internal face of brick inside the wall? is it a common problem with 50' houses with a common solution?

problem 2. When I bought the house it had a fireplace which was sealed. unfortunately someone did not bother and did not provide the ventilation to the chimney shaft. Apart from this - when the day is really rainy I can see the damp patches - on the first floor on the walls where the shaft is - not much but it does not look nice - especially one patch exactly the size of a brick.

The first thing I did - I drilled some holes on the GF in the kitchen and near ceiling in the first floor and covered with plastic vent covers. - to provide ventilation inside the shaft. But I still have the patches.

Could it be the case of some of the bricks and mortar being corroded? I planned to remove the plaster where the patches are, to reveal the bricks and remove the supposedly corroded ones - is it worth the effort? I mean, do you think brick and mortar corrosion is the reason?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the lead tray above the door has failed, possibly made worse by you filling the cracks in the mortar accidently filling the weep holes?

If this is the case you can bet on the lead flashing and tray (if it has one) for the chimney has perished as well.

I checked for the weepholes over the door but did not notice any - is it possible that when the house was built 50 years ago they did not bother? I ve got only some vent bricks on the ground floor.
I ve got this type of brick lintel:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1229/530946521_bb54fa3069.jpg and timber doors that were fitted int the opening few years ago - the doors ale also not proerly water tight - I'll be exchanging them soon.
I was also thinking about installing some kind of small canopy over the door.

Would the proper solution be - removing some bricks above the lintel install proper tray and add some plastic "weep holes" - i dont know how you call those plastic trays that go in between bricks?:) Cavity tray?

I'll try to add some photos later today if it wouldnt be too dark.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back