2 electric showers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just stopped in to look at a job on the way home & the customer had already run cables for 2 electric showers.

Obviously running x2 10.5kW showers with a 100A main fuse is not a good idea, but I think I remember seeing on here some sort of device that will only let one shower run at a time.

Sponsored Links
But, you can also look at the introduced load and diversity according to the property.

For example, I recently installed a 9.5kw shower in a garage so a surfer could come home and shower the sand away before going into the flat.

The flat was a one bedroom with a bathroom with another 9.5kw shower in it. The guy who owns the flat comes down from london every weekend on his own.

I saw no problem with putting these two one one 80amp supply. Likely hood of both being used? Negligable.

You can have a manual changeover, (ugly) or build a contactor system, using auxilliary NC contacts and control wiring.

The latter is more convenient and professional, but the former is cheaper and much, much easier.

It does not sound ideal, however there are many many homes that have two showers and have never had any problems with the main fuse blowing.

Diversity plays a big part in as much as very few times will both showers be running for the same amount of time.

Then you have the 100A Fuse which will take 3-5 times its rated current before blowing.

Sponsored Links
have seen two 10kW showers on a 30A supply (old cast iron cutout type)

The customer says it has never blown in all the time it's been like that :eek:

I have to say, if I saw a contactor or changeover switch arrangement to control two domestic elec showers, I would see it as an over-engineered wast of time.........A bodge!

There could also be issues with the water pressure if it were possible to run two electric showers at the same time!!

Not really - this seems to be a common myth.

All the plumbers I have seen have laughed when this is mentioned.

Showers do not open a flood gate.......

Here, there would be not much chance of using two at the same time, if you draw off water somewhere else the pressure drops quite a bit and you have a pathetic shower thats really hot (until you turn it down)

But then again, we are on top of a hill!

hehe, I arrived at school once to news that most of my area was without water! Strange, I managed to have a shower, wash, etc that morning. I live downhill from most of the area :LOL:

Not really - this seems to be a common myth.

All the plumbers I have seen have laughed when this is mentioned.

Showers do not open a flood gate.......

It does in my parents house. Both showers cut out due to low pressure if they are turned on together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back