2 Gang 1 Way light switch wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

Could someone please assist with a small problem I'm having with a 2 gang 1 way switch connected to downlights?

I have just had a bedroom replastered (ceiling & walls) and the kindly plasterer decided that he would take off the light wall switch and pop the downlighters to make his job easier.

Now I have no lights in the room!

The lighting was done in a way that if both light switches were on, all 4 downlighters came on. If one switch was on alone, just the downlight furthest away from the light switch came on and if the other switch was used on its own, the other 3 came on. This was done to minimise disturbance to the baby if we had to go into the room at night.In effect, 2 switches on the wall plate, one controlling 1 light bulb & the other controlling 3 light bulbs.

I have 2 twin & earth wires coming into the cavity where the wall switch goes. There are 2 blues, 2 browns & the two earths.
The wall switch has com, L1 & L2 at the top and com, L1 & L2 at the bottom.

The two blue wires that come out in the loft have brown sleeves on them.

There is also another wire in the loft that I assume is the live feed going to the area where the single downlighter was. At this location, there is also the switch wire from the bedroom. The downlight in not connected and merely popped back into position.

The second switch wire in the loft has a brown collar on the blue wire but is not connected to the downlight that has just been popped back in. There is also another wire that goes to the location of the second and then to the third downlighter (sort of like a daisy chain) before terminating loosely.

Is there anyone here who could please tell me what goes where to get my bedroom lighting back the way it was before?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Phil

Sponsored Links
The answer lay within the wiki above.

A bit of patience, a lot of swearing and a heap of common sense and it's all sorted! :D

Sorry if anyone racked their brain trying to work it all out for me.

Cheers,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back