2 gang dimmer problem!! Advice needed!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i wonder if anyone can give me some advice on an issue i have.

I have a 2 gang dimmer in my kitchen. i live in the UK.

On each gang of the dimmer i have 6 x 50 watt gu10 halogen bulbs.

What seems to happen is that nearly every time a bulb blows, it blows out the dimmer aswell. So that my dimmer switches are now just regular switches (they are on full beam all the time.

I have replaced the dimmer and it has happened again.

On the back of the dimmer it states that the maximum wattage on 1 gang should not exceed 250 Wattts. However i ahve 6 x 50w bulbs on each gang which is 300 Watts.

I thought that this was the problem, although someone has suggested that i need fused gu10 bulbs.

What do i need to resolve this issue?

an electrical retailer has offered me by email:

"CKP2 x 500PC 2 gang x500w/400va polished chrome dimmer.
85.50 -40% discount = 51.30 + vat"

which i think is a two gang dimmer with each gang being able to have a load of 500w which is obviously more than the required 300w that i need. Do you think that will do the job??

however he also states that:

" If using mains & gu10 lamps, the lamps must be fused or else every
time that a lamp blows, it will destroy that side of the dimmer and possibly all the way back to the board."

So do you think i need both, or is it just either the fused gu10 bulbs?
Or a two gang dimmer that can handle the load of 300 watts? If its the dimmer would the one the retailer has susggested dot the trick????
This dimmer is pretty expensive so i definately do not want this to blow aswell.

thanks in advance

Tinny

Sponsored Links
You should use fused lamps, yes, however, you need a 600w dimmer in an ideal world. With halogen lighting and low voltage lighting, you must de-rate the dimmers by 50%, so a 600w dimmer will control 300w lamps.

Who fitted all that light on that tiny dimmer? :evil:

Fused lamps are not a nessecity, in fact some have never heard of them. What happens it when a lamp blows, for the duration of the "blowing" it draws a hell of a lot of current, practically a short circuit, so it will usually trip a circuit breaker. Dimmers will normally handle this surge for the breif amount of time, however, your dimmers are underrated, and running them like this will have certainly weakened them, the bulbs blowing being the final straw.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLIQ1701.html
I can recommend the above (i have one), however, the 2 gang ones are only available in 400w, which isn't enough. :(

Unfortunately, due to the heat that dimmer switches create, having 2 of them on the same plate is only feasible up to 400-500w, so although this is a comprimise, it is your only option, short of knocking another hole out for another switch next to the existing one.

crafty1289 said:
You should use fused lamps, yes, however, you need a 600w dimmer in an ideal world. With halogen lighting and low voltage lighting, you must de-rate the dimmers by 50%, so a 600w dimmer will control 300w lamps.

Who fitted all that light on that tiny dimmer? :evil:

Fused lamps are not a nessecity, in fact some have never heard of them. What happens it when a lamp blows, for the duration of the "blowing" it draws a hell of a lot of current, practically a short circuit, so it will usually trip a circuit breaker. Dimmers will normally handle this surge for the breif amount of time, however, your dimmers are underrated, and running them like this will have certainly weakened them, the bulbs blowing being the final straw.

It was a bonafide spark who was recomended by both a plumber and joiner i have used. It was a homer for him though!!!!

so basically i need all the bulbs to be fused and i need a bigger dimmer???
the retailer that gave me the quote for the dimmer also stated that on a two gang dimmer the biggest load he had was 1000w ie 500w for each gang. would this do or is there somewhere i could get a 600w on each gang

Sponsored Links
cheers,

i think i will go for the cheaper option of another hole and 2 x 600w dimmers.

thanks for your help and advice.

still cant believe the spark didnt flag this up.

t

Some dimmers will toast anyway if lamps are not fused. Bring back the dimmers with fuses built-in. Much easier!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back