2 gang dimmer loading

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for 2 gang, 1/2way dimmer and have found following your advice web sites selling 2g2w 400w per gang dimmers. Each gang will have 300 watts max of candle bulbs to handle, I assume 400w per gang will be sufficient? Or could I use the exising 250w per gang dimmer and simply install 5x40watt bulbs?

The usual DIY chains don't seem to stock anything other than 250watt for 2 gang dimmers, the only higher ones are single gang, could the exisiting 1 way 2 light set up be operated with a one gang dimmer of suitable loading?

Sponsored Links
Yes, 400W dimmer will handle 300W of incandescent lighting. And, yes, you can use a 250W dimmer, if you use 40W lamps. But why cut the light output. And you have to remember to always put in 40W otherwise you risk overloading the dimmer.

Yes, you can replace the 2 gang with a one gang. Just connect the feed to the common and both switchwires to the L1 terminal. Or L2. With a dimmer, it doesn't matter.

As I said in your other post, you'd need a 600W dimmer of the 1kW dimmer from tlc.

But again, you are limiting versatility by having both light fittings on one switch.

Whichever dimmer you install, follow the manufacturers instructions as to the depth of wall box - you need ample to allow air flow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back