2 gang dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to replace a 2 gang dimmer switch as I was removing it some of the wires came loose and I cant remember where they went.

There are 4 red wires with no sleeves and 1 brown wire that I believe was to connect the 2 coms.

Please can someone help.

Sponsored Links
2 reds go to the 2 COMs, other 2 reds go to the 2 L1s.

Trial and error ;)

I can identify the two cables 1 for center light and 1 for the wall lights.

So Centre light reds into L1 and Com of switch 1
& wall light reds into L1 and Com of switch 2
with the brown wire connecting the Coms.

Am I right in thinking because I cannot identify the Switched Live wires I will have to use trial and error to get them to operate properly.

Thank you.

The way you describe sounds ok. However, if there is no marking to denote which is live and which is SL, you will need a multimeter to find your live feed. There may only be one live feed from one light, the COM loops connects this live feed to the rest of the circuit.

Sponsored Links
I have tried various combinations of wires. I am running out of ideas. I dont have a multimeter.

The best I can get is that all the lights come on, 1 switch will operate the center independently but the second switches them all on and off.

When I reverse the wires on the second switch only one of the wall lights work the other stays off.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

hoach said:
I dont have a multimeter.

You need some form of two-pole tester.

You need to distinguish between live & switchwire.

Are these four reds in pairs?

If so, then the likelihood is that there is a pair for one switch & a pair for the other. In this case, you need to ID the feed in each pair, put one feed in one com, one feed in the other. Then put the CORRESPONDING switchwire in the L1 terminals.

secure, i was thinking there is only one live feed, the other one taking the live feed to the rest of the circuit, hence the COM link. Thus there should only be one live wire there if testing for voltages.

<ashamed to ask this> does the OP have a neon screwdriver? :cry: :LOL:

That is a possible combination I had not thought of.

[Sigh] Out-thought by a Yorkshireman... :LOL:

I do have a neon screwdriver. I think that there is only 1 live. When I fitted the one I was replacing it only took me a couple of tries to sort it out.

I have spent too many hours last night and today trying every possible combination. I colour coded the 4 reds so I knew which was which. I believe I worked out which was the live.

Anyway to cut a long story I've decided to call in a qualified electrician. Thank you for all your help. I nearly got there. I got the lights to dim independently but couldnt get them to switch on and off independently.

If you have any suggestions please post them for others in the future. I will try and see what the electrician does and post that here too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back