2 gang switch help

mab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The switch which controls the main kitchen light is a 2 gang it also switches on the lights under the kitchen cabinets. I want to add a second switch in place of the 1 gang switch which only controls the outside light which is located in the kitchen. I have purchased a 2 gang switch one switch to operate the outside light and one to operate the kitchen light. I basically want to be able to switch the kitchen lights on from 2 locations. I assume that the common port on the original 2 gang would need to have 2 ports connected as before.

The problem is I cant figure out how to wire it up, the switch that controls the ceiling lights has a brown wire to L2 and C2 there is an additional brown wire linking the 2 com ports.
The cable that is available for has the following wires grey,black,brown and earth.

The location in the kitchen where I am going to put the 2 gang switch in has a 1 gang switch which controls an outside light, therefore I am going to replace this with a 2 gang. The cable that is available to connect to the kitchen ceiling light has the following wires grey,black,brown and earth.

I have tried to figure out what wire should go where but am struggling.

Can any one help please.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
hate to be the one that points out what you are doing is now illegal
since april you are required to have part P electrics to work on electrics in a kitchen or bathroom unless you are just replacing like for like
so get a sparks to do it

Ah, more mis-information

kevindgas said:
since april you are required to have part P electrics to work on electrics in a kitchen or bathroom unless you are just replacing like for like
so get a sparks to do it

1) Part P came in on the 1st Jan 05, nothing nothing do with april really unless you count the amnestity period with ended April 05, or the admendments that come into force in April 06.

2) And what do you mean "have part P" , its not a qualification and if you mean have a membership to a scam, you are wrong, it never has been a legal requirement to be registered with a scam to work in a kitchen or bathroom.

Sponsored Links
... ..and when Adams blood pressure returns to normal...he will probably sort out the problem with the switches.

The people who give advise on this site are not the Part P police....informing DIYers about PP is IMHO enough, doing your own work is not illegal especially in Scotland

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back