2 gang wiring help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm replacing a light switches in my hall and landing from plastic to chrome. The wiring of the old switches is very different to the new ones. I have the following wires 1 red, 1 black, 2 blue and 2 white. The whites went in the L2 upper and lower, the blues went in the L1 upper and lower. For the new switches the diagram shows that yellow or grey goes to the upper L1 (I don't have this colour), 2 blue or black go in lower L3 (I have one black and 2 blue) and 2 red into L2 (I only have one). Can anyone advise what should go where please. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You should have noted what colours of your went where, you don't say where the red and black went???

What are the terminals marked on the rear of your new switches, most probably the same as the old. L1 L2 and com (times 2, as it's two gang).

Copy one to the other. Ignore the colours that they show in the instructions - they really shouldn't even bother putting these in, as there are to many colour combinations and so many weird and wonderful ways things are wired.

I noted where everything went thanks. On the top there was a red into the (common) terminal white in L2 , blue into L1. On the bottom, white into L2, blue into L1 black into the other common. I did copy like for like, assuming L3 is 'common', but it didn't work, if it should perhaps I'll re-try.

It is likely that the L1 terminal of your new switches is the COMMON terminal...

Sponsored Links
Yup, thats usually the way with these odd makes....

L1 is com, L2 is L1 and L3 is L2 (although it makes little odds which way you get the old L1 and L2, or the new L2 and L3, it just means the switch will operate upside down, inter-changing the L2 and L3 connections of the new switch will sort this).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back