2 LIGHTS 2 SWITCHS IN 1 BOX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I WANT TO WIRE MY OUTSIDE LIGHTS AND MY CONSERVETORY LIGHTS INTO 1 DOUBLE SWITCH, I HAVE 2 REDS, 2 BLACKS, AND 2 EARTH\\\'S. I KNOW THAT THE EARTH\\\'S GO TO THE BACK BOX BUT WHERE DO THE OTHER WIRE\\\'S GO AND DO I NEED A LOOP WIRE :confused:

please note forum rule 6

Sponsored Links
Hang on. Are the outside lights new? And you've just run a single cable from them back to this switch? If so it wont work.

Why did you SHOUT your entire message? We can hear you if you talk like this.

Go away and come back armed with some more detail.

Out of interest, if the 2 cables you have there are just switch drops, and carry live (red) and switched live (black), the way to wire them is

RED to COM
BLACK to L1

However I suspect that is not the case, as i said above . . . .

tell us more.

Hi There
My outside lights are a couple of years old and they go into a junction box and then down into my light switch. My new conservatory lights go straight to the switch and this is where i am having the problem of getting the wires the right way round as i said before i have 2 red, 2 black and 2 earth. i have tried putting both reds and both blacks together into a single switch but all i end up with is one set of lights on permanetly no matter which position the switch is in. Please help as it is driving me mad on what to do. :confused:

Crafty said:
Hang on. Are the outside lights new? And you've just run a single cable from them back to this switch? If so it wont work.

Is this what you have done? If so as crafty says it won't work. (we know now it's the conservatory lights that are new)

Light switches only switch the live conductor. Usually there will be no neutral at the switch, that connection is made at the junction box. If you have just run a cable from your new conservatory lights to the switch, It will never work as you will need a neutral connection.

Please confirm what the situation is and someone will be able to help you.

Sponsored Links
if the chaps put the reds and blacks in the switch and it works theres no neurtal at the switch but if it works there must be a nuetral at the fitting.

yeah you have no neutral at the switch, you cant supply a new light from there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back