2 meters from 1 supply....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I am converting my house into 2 flats and therefore will need 2 electric meters. The house currently has the old original supply cable (lead sheathed) leading into the cutout and then off to a meter. There has been another meter installed in the past - How do you go about installing another meter correctly? Should you take another cutout from the first to another meter (this seems to defeat the object though I suppose) or does the supply feed 2 cutouts and then go to the respective meters?
Obviously it will all be done by a qualified electrician but I like to know exactly whats going on!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You need to contact your DNO.

They will probably install a second cutout from the existing cable, but only they can tell you that.

It is NOT a job for an electrician

you dont (neither does the electrician) you get your supply company to do it.

suppose each flat opts to have lecy shower your existing supply probably cant cope with 2 showers, so lecy board will upgrade cable

Wow,

Thanks for the speedy replies.

Both flats are being newly rewired so there will be no electric showers. I have spoken to the provider and the local electric company who basically keep palming me off. They told me to 'ask an electrician' and if it used to have 2 meters feeding 2 flats then they would just turn up and put another one in again.

Is this a common way of doing it? 2 meters from one supply?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
depends on demand (demand being that of the flats, not how many people ask for it)

The flats are only small (2 bedroom) and both have a ring main, kitchen ring, lighting circuit, smoke alarms and electric cooker.
The central heating is gas.... Hopefully this is small enough to split the current supply.

you were doing ok, until you said cooker.

even applying diversity, its a bit.............(cant think of the word)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back