2 outside lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i am adding 2 outside lights both 150W. Can i run a 1mm T&E cable from a lighting circuit junction box in loft to a FCU in kitchen, then a cable to a light then a cable from that light to a external junction box with a cable going from that into next light? so that the one FCU controlls both lights
any advise welcome thanks

Sponsored Links
erm , probably as long as the circuit has RCD protection, you run the cable according to BS7671:2008, the external cable is suitable for the conditions and the work within the kitchen is notified. Sorry not as straight forward as you would first think, but the theory sounds fine

[code:1] FCU
|
|
FLEX
|
Junction box
| |
flex flex
| |
light light[/code:1]
indeed as oharaf said, the circuit must be RCD protected (at least your work should be)

And you need to notify the local building control if in england or wales.

And use black flex outdoors, it is more UV resistant than twin and earth.

Sponsored Links
Yes. Spot on. Make sure the FCU is double pole, so it switches the neutral.

And if the lighting circuit is not RCD protected (most aren't), you must RCD protect your addition if it will be buried in plaster. The easiest way is to add an RCD at the circuit source.

If it wont be buried in plaster, I'd stick an RCD FCU in, instead of a normal one, so at least the outside bit is protected.

Will get that sorted then thanks everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back