2 Q's. Rad refilling and never ending toilet!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks ,
I have replaced my rad in the bathroom (like for like size wise) and wondered if it would refill of its own accord or whether i need to do something? Will the FE tank just fill it up ? (Doh!)

Secondly I fitted a new toilet and it works fine, however when you flush and it refills , it doesn't stop refilling! It slows down dramatically , but it doesn't quite stop. Rapidly turning the cold tap on and off on the adjacent sink stops the never ending filling. The cold water pressure is very high at our house, and it is almost like the valve which should shut the water off isn't up to the job. If I remove the lid and manually lift the float up so the valve is in the supposedly closed position it still seeps through. Do I have too much pressure for the valve to handle ? The loo was brand new 6 months ago and fills from underneath if that helps.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you opened the valves and bled the air out of the rad?

If the water is still discharging into the pan it could be the internal overflow.

Have you opened the valves and bled the air out of the rad?

I'm not doing the job until this weekend , but yes that was the plan.

If the water is still discharging into the pan it could be the internal overflow.

Yeah that's exactly what is happening , i just don't understand why :( [/quote]

If your float valve is faulty then it won't shut off.....possibly you have grit or limescale jamming open the rubber seal or maybe the fitter didn't insert the high pressure reducer into the bottom of the valve when it was fitted.

As you seem to have little knowledge don't try to strip it just replace the float valve and follow instructions.....should sort out the problem.....unless it is set to high and water is constantly flowing down internal overflow but from what you say it seems a faulty/dirty float....replace it (10 quid tops screwfix)

Sponsored Links
If your float valve is faulty then it won't shut off.....possibly you have grit or limescale jamming open the rubber seal or maybe the fitter didn't insert the high pressure reducer into the bottom of the valve when it was fitted.

I should have made it clear that I was the fitter, and this issue has been happening since day 1. The cistern internals , float etc were pre fitted so all I did was connect the feed and waste. Am I missing something or should i just replace the unit as you suggest ?[/b][/quote]

Bearing in mind i didnt fit the internals , is it possible they are just poor quality ? :confused:

thanks , but i was asking if some internals are worse quality than others.

Are there internal from one manufacturer better than another ? If so , whose are the best?

A previous poster mentioned a high pressure reducer. Is this normally an intergral part or fitted additionally ?

many thanks

High pressure reducer comes with most float valves. On bottom entry valves it's normally just a widget that pops in the feed pipe.

If you haven't already adjust the water level so it's lower. Might solve your problem otherwise strip it all down and put it back together as seco services suggests.

On bottom entry valves it's normally just a widget that pops in the feed pipe.
Ahh , then i definitely have a widget. I remember seeing it in the feed pipe.

I think for a £10 i'll just replace the lot and hope that sorts it.

Many thanks all who posted.

Have you tried adjusting the shut-off level of the float valve? Or lifting up the arm to the 'off' position to see if it shuts off (it might not straight away, some valves take a few seconds)

Secondly I fitted a new toilet and it works fine, however when you flush and it refills , it doesn't stop refilling!

Doesnt work that fine then :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back