2 questions about wall plates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a 3.5 x 7m shed in my garden. I'm up to the top of the walls - single skin blockwork.

1. is 100mm x 75 mm wall plate the norm ?

2. the top of my wall isn't quite as flat as a snooker table - do i bed my wall plate on a layer of mortar ?

Sponsored Links
100x75 will be fine, and yes you need to lay up a bed of mortar for the wall plate to sit on and achieve your level.

If you are using more than 1 length of timber (i.e. on the 7m walls) then use a halving joint between the two. And use this on the corners too.

Don't forget you have to strap the wallplate - you don't want your roof shifting when the next batch of high winds come knocking on your door.

EDIT: If you need to know about a halving joint (since I don't know your level of knowledge) then take a look at the following http://www.technologystudent.com/joints/joints1.htm

The concept of a wallplate to to form a straight, level surface so that all the rafter cuts and and angles are the same.

You can use 100x25 or 100x50 if you like, but it should be bedded if the wall is not level

Strap it at 2m intervals with 1.2m straps

Sponsored Links
Oops - I forgot to mention the strapping interval and stuff :oops:

Thanks for clarifying the bits I missed woody!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back