2 Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We've just had builders in who have extended our kitchen and left it ready for me to fit the kitchen which I have duely started.
They left it with all the plumbing pipes in the right palce for me so I just have to connect up to them.
Where the sink will be the two copper pipes come up out of the floor and end with a small grey plastic thing. There is one screw on the front which I assume lets the water pass through them. Do I simply push a small length of copper pipe into the top? Ive done pipe joining with compression joints before which involves tightening them up to make them water tight, this looks a little flimsy, simply pushing the pipe in and not having to tighten anything. Is this really right? The small grey thing is one of these http://www.screwfix.com/prods/25911...gs/JG-Speedfit-Isolating-Valve-15mm-Pack-of-5

2) I am fitting the waste hole to a big belfast sink. I have bedded it on putty as instructed and now trying to tighten the nut on the other side, however it is huge, 4 inch diameter and I couldnt see a spanner big enough in wicks. What is the correct tool for doing this up? When i did it by hand it leaked.

Thanks
chris

Sponsored Links
Hi

Do I simply push a small length of copper pipe into the top? Ive done pipe joining with compression joints before which involves tightening them up to make them water tight, this looks a little flimsy, simply pushing the pipe in and not having to tighten anything. Is this really right? The small grey thing is one of these http://www.screwfix.com/prods/25911...gs/JG-Speedfit-Isolating-Valve-15mm-Pack-of-5

Thanks
chris

Yep if using copper just push in fully. If using plastic it needs inserts

WOW, clever little thing. Obviously i didnt give it enough credit. Thanks for the info
chris

2) I am fitting the waste hole to a big belfast sink. I have bedded it on putty as instructed and now trying to tighten the nut on the other side, however it is huge, 4 inch diameter and I couldnt see a spanner big enough in wicks. What is the correct tool for doing this up? When i did it by hand it leaked.

Thanks
chris

Some big grips will do: http://buy.maplin.co.uk/Free_UK_Delivery/Adjustable_Grips_30634_v2.htm

Water often leaks from the thread itself however tight you go - this can be a pain. I use Plumber's Mait (a putty) on the thread before screwing the big nut on. You could also use PTFE tape on the thread.

Sponsored Links
Those grips will only do 2 inches max, I need four, but yes I guess big grips if big enough would be fine. I used plumbers mait putty for the bed on the sink so I guess I could put some on the thread as welll. Good advice.
chris

Thanks
chris

Some big grips will do: http://buy.maplin.co.uk/Free_UK_Delivery/Adjustable_Grips_30634_v2.htm

Water often leaks from the thread itself however tight you go - this can be a pain. I use Plumber's Mait (a putty) on the thread before screwing the big nut on. You could also use PTFE tape on the thread.

Big set of Footprints req'd here methinks, and use a potable water jointing paste on the threads, summat like water hawk or boss green!!

Do you mean 'footprint tools'? I googled them but their wrenches only seem to go up to 3 inches, still one inch short. Am I in the wrong place? Could you post a link,

Hawk White would be better that plumbers putty?? Ive used that on all my compression joints and it seems to work well. The tape stuff is useless

thing is surely you cannot leave a waste dripping - in a customers home!!! the water will build up and eventually drip through the ceiling!!!! i put a new waste in ym bathroom basin about a year or so ago and used a plastic washer and backnut that came with it and put a bit of plumbers mate put inside the basin on the underside of the waste (but not on the underside of the basin) and it was fine...!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back