Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
i have a double switch in my kitchen that opperates the kitchen light as
well as the outside garden light, on the circuit there is a single switch that
just turns on/off the kitchen light.
The double switch has 2 common, 2 L1 & 2 L2, the wires from wall are
2 red, 2 yellow, 2 blue. When i disconected the wires from old switch 2 of the connections were bridged but i can remember which one.
I have home electrics book it tells me red to common, blue to L1 and yellow to L2, this don`t work at all, when i disconected the old switch the 2 blue wires were both connected in one of the L2 connections. The single switch is wired red to common, blue to L1 and yellow to L2
I`m so confused please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused: :confused: :confused: :oops: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
I think we know you've a two way switch as this is your third post about it!

The problem we have, even if you do ask three times, is that at best we can guess how the switch should be wired. Plus from your description it sounds like you have two three core cables at the double gang switch and there is a missing link wire. Also you haven't mentioned the earth.

If you have wired the double gang switch exactly as before then the link could go between at least two places depending on which cable is being classed as live.

You need to tell us for each gang of the double gang switch how the wires were originally connected - don't worry about the link for the moment.

Also when you have connected up the new switch - you say it didn't work - does that apply to the outside light as well or did that work?

Sponsored Links
the 2 earths are connected to the metal box in the wall.
yes there is 2 cables from wall that are both 3 core, 2 x red, 2 x yellow & 2 x blue.
to the best of my knowledge i`ve wired up correctly but something is not quite right, with the switch back facing me with top at top the connections are comm L2 L1 at bottom L1 L2 comm, this is the config of wireing up
top row the 2 blues in L2 bridged to the top comm with 1 red wire, 1 yellow in L1, bottom row 1 yellow in L2, nothing in L1, 1 red in comm.
the single switch on other wall for kitchen light is wired red to comm, blue to L1 and yellow to L2.
no the garden light does not work only the kitchen light works but each switch does not switch each other off as before.

just a thought, does any one think it would be a good idea to look at how
my next door neigbours switch is wired????????????????????????????????

Have you got any form of Mulitmeter or an abilty to test a wire that is live in a safe manner? Are you able to upload or take pictures? Are you able to look at the way the light fittings are wired? (without removing them).

You could look at your neighbours but it might not be the same. There's normally two ways to do two way switching but sometimes people even vary these two methods!

the 2 earths are connected to the metal box in the wall.
yes there is 2 cables from wall that are both 3 core, 2 x red, 2 x yellow & 2 x blue.
to the best of my knowledge i`ve wired up correctly but something is not quite right, with the switch back facing me with top at top the connections are comm L2 L1 at bottom L1 L2 comm, this is the config of wireing up
top row the 2 blues in L2 bridged to the top comm with 1 red wire, 1 yellow in L1, bottom row 1 yellow in L2, nothing in L1, 1 red in comm.
the single switch on other wall for kitchen light is wired red to comm, blue to L1 and yellow to L2.
no the garden light does not work only the kitchen light works but each switch does not switch each other off as before.
Sorry but your description doesn't make any sense - can you provide a drawing of your switch layout and identify which gang operates which light.

You will need to determine which of the two cables (red/blue &yellow) acts as the strapper to the single gang kitchen switch and ensure that the kitchen switch in the double has the same coloured cables in the same terminals.
The other cable (red,blue & yellow) - possibly bringing the power in and switch live(s) out which is unusual. The link would normally be between the commons - but can vary when strappers are used.
Without a multi-meter you are going to struggle to sort this one out.
It may be more prudent to get a spark in.

I Cracked it!!!!!!! :D :) :eek: :p

Thanks To Every One That Gave Me Some Advice!!!!!!! :D :) :eek: :p

Top row : Comm Red wire bridged with L1 yellow wire, 2 blue wires in L2,
bottom row : Comm Red, L2 no wire, L1 yellow wire, evrything works as
before i :oops: myself, SMUG mode engaged LOL.

Thanks Again Peoples!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FAO
ban-all-sheds

what you call me a fool for????????

thats fighting talk!!!!!!!

oh! right yeah, your hiding behind your computer screen, muppet!!!!

FAO
ban-all-sheds

what you call me a fool for????????
For starting up multiple topics to continue the same problem, even after you'd been asked not to and had at least one deleted by the moderators.

thats fighting talk!!!!!!!
Only to someone so thick as to be incapable of dealing with conflicts and disagreements without resorting to physical violence.

oh! right yeah, your hiding behind your computer screen, muppet!!!!
Just go away and never return.

ban all sheds

well sorry for starting multiple topics, does it really matter, or was it to
difficult for you grasp and realise i may have done that by mistake.

Thick!!! there you go again name calling, so would you take kindly to someone you dont know calling you names for no reason, when all that is being asked was for some advice, thats a bit ****ing rude and arrogant, dont you think?

truth hurts then does it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back