2 way lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a 2 gang 2 way light swith in my hall which operates the hall light and the landing light, the landing light is also operated by a 2way 1 gang switch upstirs, i want to add another switch downstairs to operate the hall lights as i come in through the front door is this possible

Sponsored Links
i have a 2 gang 2 way light swith in my hall which operates the hall light and the landing light, the landing light is also operated by a 2way 1 gang switch upstairs, i want to add another switch downstairs to operate the hall lights as i come in through the front door is this possible

Yes

Currently the hall light is controlled by a switch in the middle hall and the upper hall and if you want a additional switch you will have to change (subject to how the wiring is done) the downstairs double switch for an intermediate switch + normal 2 way for the landing.

Imagine the switches as separate entities.

Because there's no such thing as a double switch (for the downstairs existing position) with a 2 way plus an intermediate. You will need to go modular and buy MK grid plus units.

MK grid plus is a system where you build the separate components of the switch. The components required will be faceplate, frame, 1 x 2w module and 1 x intermediate module.

I wouldn't consider this a DIY job, because the existing wiring could have been done in a number of ways that could confuse a DIYer.

Look on the on-site wiki for 3 way lighting switching should you feel capable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back