2 way switch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just loosened the cover of a 2G 2 way switch to remove the old wall paper and three of the wires sprung loose!
The switch is at the bottom of the stairs and one side operates (or used to) the 2 way landing light and the other side operates a hall light.
Two twin and earth cables enter the switch box but except for the earths all the cables are red!
A single red cable is connected between the coms. Sorry about the technical terms or lack of them but I hope your getting the picture.
The back of the switch box has the com points labelled but nothing else. Through trial and error I've found the live feed in which is probably from the hall light? Except for that I'm stumped, any pointers? Thank you

Sponsored Links
You will have a twin red cable, which goes upstairs. connect this to L1 and L2 of the switch you want to control upstairs.

And another twin red which goes to the downstairs light. One to COM, one to the L1 of the other switch.

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately the switch isn't marked up L1 or L2, there is just three connection points on the top and three on the bottom, the com cable goes to opposite corners leaving two available points next to each other on each side (top and bottom of the switch) Would L1 and L2 be next to each other on the same side or on opposite sides? Thanks .

There will be some markings somewhere on the switch.

It is often moulded into the black or brown part of the rear of the switch.

Sponsored Links
If you know the coms, the other two will be L1 and L2 on each side of the switch. Doesn't matter which way around you get the L1 and L2 for the upstairs switch, you should make sure you put it in L1 for dowstairs as the light should be off with the top of the switch in at the top. (it would work backwards if in L2)

from the wiki..

electrics:lighting:2g2w.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back