2-way switching existing light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fairly certain the answer to this is no... because you wouldn't be able to wire the common, but I thought I'd see if anyone had any bright ideas.

I've got an existing light which has a single switch cabled as a 2 core live/switched live. Is there a circuit possible which will add another switch to make this into a 2-way setup without changing the cable to the existing light switch (which is buried in a wall)?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Yes the cable light to switch stays as it is. New cable goes old switch to new switch.

Also there are wireless options. I use energenie because I already have the hub. But there are versions which don't need a hub.

Yes the cable light to switch stays as it is. New cable goes old switch to new switch.

Also there are wireless options. I use energenie because I already have the hub. But there are versions which don't need a hub.

Thanks - I guess I should have clarified I meant without having to change or run a new cable to the old switch. I was wondering if there was a way of doing it at the ceiling rose.

Yeah I looked as LightwaveRF stuff, that can do hub-less master/slave but it all seems to be priced a little over the top. You're looking at around 80 quid to do a single 2-way setup.

Sponsored Links
Actually.... I think it is possible... because the existing switch is multi-gang and has other lives in it. If I pinch one of those Lives from another light to be the Live in the first switch, then use the existing 2-core as Common/Switched up to the rose, then use 3-core from there to the new switch... I think it'd work right?

Like this:
2-way.PNG

I guess the danger here would be potentially mixing Lives from different circuits - but if I verify that all the lights in the old switch are on the same circuit, is there any problem with doing it this way?

This way may be easier to wire.

The now unused Live in the ceiling rose would need to be terminated in a terminal block

one way to two way Multiswitch.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back