2 years of central heating knightmares

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

Please bear with me this is a bit of a long post.

I bought my first house a couple of years ago. (worst mistake i ever made). Since i got into the house we have had trouble with the central heating. (And 25 other things)

The problem now is half of the bottom floor radiators do not work. These seem to be in a room that was previously a garage and the bottom toilet/shower room.

On the first week i arrived they seemed to be working but then i had no heating what so ever in January.

Hoping for a reasonably priced fix i call a plumber who came three hours late gone 9pm and stayed for 15 minutes and said the programmer was knackered. I asked how much and he said it would be cheaper for me to do it myself. He wrote the model on some paper took £50 and that was that. I followed his advice fitted a new programmer and the problem was still there. I called again but he did not seem interested.

I then had a brain wave, British Gas had and still have a one of boiler repair service. One off cost including parts and labour. I called them and they said it would be £89 pounds up front if it was less than an hour or £169 if it was more than an hour. I agreed to this and they charged me the £169 straight away over the phone and said if it was less than an hour they would refund the rest.

They sent me a British gas engineer out the following day. In a fortnight i had 5 different engineers out. The first one came and replaced the (forgive me if i am wrong) port valve its in a Y configuration. The second guy replaced the motor on top of the port valve. The third guy done the hot water tank thermostat. All leaving scratching their heads. Each time they left i would phone and tell them it was not fixed and i would ask for the money back, to which they would reply i will send another engineer. I was quite happy for them to keep sending guys thinking eventually one would figure it out and fix it.

The fifth British Gas came out done a few things and scratched his head a lot. He said the electrical wiring was funny he said the only way to get the heating working was to turn it on and manually move the port valve and lock it in place by hand. Hooray the heating was back on (sort of). The three radiators down stairs in the garage conversion and shower/toilet would not come on at all.

Then he said the system needs to be flushed which is not covered by the one price one fee. Fair enough and fair play to BG i have had my monies worth out of them and the engineer even sorted out a refund because the problem was not totally fixed.

Then i grabbed a plumber through a friend who said he would do the system flush on the weekend in his own time and i paid him half the price British Gas quoted. He came around 8am and was here till 8pm. He flushed the system which came out black as the ace of spades and ended up a very light brown by the time he had finished. The came the fun all the rads on apart from these three downstairs so i was in the same boat. He then proceeded to replace the central heating pump for a brand new one which he did not charge me for but it made no difference.

Now i replaced a bathroom upstairs the whole bath, sink and toilet and tiled the lot. The old bathroom had a grubby Thermostatic Bar Mixer shower that i took out. I capped the one pipe and turned off the other.

Could this have anything at all to do with the problem?.

I am out of idea's the last plumber earlier this year on a recommendation said replace the boiler and i asked how would that cure the three rads not coming on and he said we would look at that after if the new boiler did not cure the problem and handed me a quote for £2900.

Sponsored Links
If you.turn off the upstairs.rads do.The bottom ones get hot
Could be a balance issue.
Are the valves open? Do they work?

Hi

Turn off the working rads and see if the non working rads get hot. if this works balancing the rads is the likely problem. if not it could be a pipe blockage.

If you are still having to move the valve manually there is obviously a wiring issue involving the motor on the valve, Did anybody actually try and balance the system to get the problem rads working?

Sponsored Links
We hear of a few cases here where BG dont get it right first time.

Not many where they take five visits and its still not right.

I helped a BG fellow who had sent people for 23 visits and I sorted out the problem over the phone! I do agree that it was not a totally straightforward problem but one that I would expect any competent engineer to work out in a couple of hours.

Tony

Hello All

Please bear with me this is a bit of a long post.

the last plumber earlier this year on a recommendation said replace the boiler and i asked how would that cure the three rads not coming on and he said we would look at that after if the new boiler did not cure the problem and handed me a quote for £2900.
:eek: Send me a cheque for £100 - then I`ll tell you what`s wrong :p Sounds like balancing issue and possibly wiring issue ( or did you get the wiring fixed). On the bright side - a new pump and a thorough powerflush isn`t actually money wasted ;) Turn off all the rads - as said by others - and also check that the water isn`t going to the cylinder . turn the pump to Max . ie. give the water nowhere to go but the offending rads :idea:

Hello All

I have taken all your good advice. I turned off all the rads that were working and cranked the heat up and for and while and nothing then i walked around checking the three rads that do not work.

Rad 1 (Garage Room)
One hour later checked the pipe work going into the rad and it was scolding hot but the rad was cold. Checked half hour later and the pipe was still hot and the rad was warm.

Rad 2 (Hall lead to shower room)
Checked the pipe work it was warm and so was the rad all over. Checked half hour later and it was stone cold.

Rad 3 (Shower room the rad is on the other side of wall of rad 2)
Stone cold after an hour no change. Half hour later (After rad 2 had gone stone cold) Rad 3 was now warm.

After this turn up is this a balancing issue with the system and nothing more? I just want to get this sorted before winter really kicks in. Thanks for your help.

Thanks Armo74. Can you tell me how much this would cost and how long should it take to do? I have 10 rads in total.

See Boiler and Central Heating FAQ's on the Forum Index page, FAQ no. 5. There is a link there to a guide to balancing.

Have you got three rads back to back on microbore? Obviously other problem is wiring. Check rad valves working. If only luke warm and no obstructions then pipes maybe undersized. Have rads been added onto end of 8mm runs?

@Rough waters. 2 rads that do not come on are on 15mm and other is 10mm. To be honest the whole place is a mish mash of different pipes. 2 rads upstairs one in the bathroom and one in the bedroom are both 6mm microbore both have yorkshire valves on them. When i say 6mm no one believes me and says its 8mm but i have had a vernier on them. I take it having 6mm, 8mm, 10mm and 15mm piping is not helping the situation.

It will make balancing even more tedious. Really 6mm - That wants ripping out unless the rad is the size of a mars bar. 15 mm is ideal. With what you have said about your system id search hard and find a decent plumber. I would hazard a guess to say its pipe work related.

Hello All

I have taken all your good advice. I turned off all the rads that were working and cranked the heat up and for and while and nothing then i walked around checking the three rads that do not work.

right - it`s more than just balancing needed :cry: . I`d agree with RW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back