2001 Y Reg Mondeo Key Fob not working!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seen quite a few posts about this but none for my specific problem (unless I haven't looked properly!)

Just bought a 2001 Y Reg Mondeo that came with one key. It has the 3 button remote but this isn't working. I've tried the reprogramming thing (turn 0 to II in 6 secs and hold down button), and also changing the battery but this doesn't work either.

What are my options atm? I'm hoping not to have to get a new key from a dealer as the car only cost £1000. The car unlocks manually, starts fine but I would just like remote central locking!!

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sometimes the printed circuit in the key breaks. Can you strip the key to see the faulty connection? I never tried stripping a Ford key but it works on the Alfa's.

The car has started locking and unlocking itself when driving along now!!!

Can anyone help please?

Sponsored Links
sounds like the main brain is playing up, no idea where it is on the mondeo sorry but could be moisture ingress etc
id locate the fuse and if it just feeds the locking remove and use the key manually, not ideal but saves you having to spend any money on it

Normally, my expertise is on Toyota, but 2001, Fordy, alarm/locking issues, stinks of what Toyota also suffers, a battery that is dying.

You can test the battery, and it seems OK, you can charge it, and it seems OK, but in use, it creates havoc!

When a car battery reaches 10 years...on Jap cars, they play havoc with the system, random issues, 1st time I've seen it on a Fordy. Same issues, different manufacturer.

It always happens at 10 years too. (OK 9 above), because the vehicle might have been sitting in a yard for 6 months. How come 10 years always? with random results in the failures? windows? mirrors, aircon, dash, starting, stalling,

When this happens, can we get some register of the type/make of the battery involved? As it always happens after 10 years of use.

Ta for that mate, I have a new battery at home from an old car so that's something I'll try!!

Someone posted something on another thread about the control box under the dash with a build up of static that causes problems, does anyone know if it might be something like this also?

Thanks

Ta for that mate, I have a new battery at home from an old car so that's something I'll try!!

Someone posted something on another thread about the control box under the dash with a build up of static that causes problems, does anyone know if it might be something like this also?

Thanks

I can only imagine that they refer to the ecu, but, it is extremely rare that anyone has a faulty ecu, a battery fault x 100, vs ecu, maybe 1/2?

Sponsored Links
Back