2007 Fiesta Ignition Key Barrel Change

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to change the ignition key barrel on my 2007 fiesta.
Just wondered how difficult the job is and if there's anything in particular I need to be aware.
Also any recommendations on where to buy the parts.
Finally, if too tricky a job, what i can expect to pay a garage for the job.
Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
What exactly is the problem with it?
Had issues getting the car started. After an extensive investigation by the AA man, checking everything, it was found that angling the key differently in it barrel made a difference.
Essentially, push the key in harder and angling it downward enabled it to mostly work.
Hence, a barrel and key change.

Had issues getting the car started. After an extensive investigation by the AA man, checking everything, it was found that angling the key differently in it barrel made a difference.
Essentially, push the key in harder and angling it downward enabled it to mostly work.
Hence, a barrel and key change.
If the key is turning correctly, it’s more than likely the switch at the end of the steering lock that needs changing. If you change the barrel and key, you’ll need to get new keys re-coded too. Have a look on the 'net for videos of how to change the switch.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: WSB
Sponsored Links
If the key is turning correctly, it’s more than likely the switch at the end of the key that needs changing. If you change the barrel and key, you’ll need to get new keys re-coded too. Have a look on the 'net for videos of how to change the switch.
Thanks. That makes sense.
The key does turn fine but depending on how you push and angle it then whether an electrical connection is made varies.
Thought the switch would be as one unit as part of the barrel.
Is it possible to buy the switch separately?
Any idea how easy it is to access as may just be able to fix the poor connection?

Just ordered the part. £10.80 off Ebay.
Should arrive by Thursday. So may have it fixed before Christmas.!!!
At that price certainly worth a go and looks pretty simple.
Thanks again. Made my day.

Just ordered the part. £10.80 off Ebay.
Should arrive by Thursday. So may have it fixed before Christmas.!!!
At that price certainly worth a go and looks pretty simple.
Thanks again. Made my day.
For what they cost from Ford, I’d have gone to them, but fingers crossed for you. (y)

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
Sponsored Links
Back