22mm Gas reduced to 15mm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically I a 22mm gas pipe running from the mains all the way through to the boiler, however when the gas pipe goes to into the boiler it is reduced from a 22mm to a 15mm? (about 30cm of 15mm pipes goes into the boiler)

My question is why would a 22mm gas pipe be reduced to a 15mm going into the boiler?

My plumber say this needs to be fixed, how could it be fixed?

The 22mm basically has been t branched and reduced to 15mm going into boiler and then the cooker in to kitchen.

Please please help really need help.

Sponsored Links
Why does your plumber say it needs to be fixed. Has he checked the gas pressure at the boiler? 30cm of 15mm going to the boiler is not going to make hardly any difference

What boiler is it? A lot of boilers only have 15mm gas inlet valve connections so a 22mm gas pipe would have to be reduced to connect to the boiler

No one can tell you anything useful from that.

We would need

Length of 22 mm to meter

Power of boiler

Proper explanation of you last sentence. Probably a photo.

Many boilers have a 15 mm gas inlet. Its best to reduce to 15 mm just before or at the boiler connection but it all depends.

Maybe it is necessary and maybe it is not!

Tony

No one can tell you anything useful from that.

We would need

Length of 22 mm to meter

Power of boiler

Proper explanation of you last sentence. Probably a photo.

Many boilers have a 15 mm gas inlet. Its best to reduce to 15 mm just before or at the boiler connection but it all depends.

Maybe it is necessary and maybe it is not!

Tony
Basically I have main combi 24kw and I am replacing it with a baxi duo tec 24 kW.

The gas pipe is 22mm and the last 30cm of it going into the boiler is reduced to a 15mm, and my plumber said it needs to be replaced to a 22mm, why would he say this when the pipe is 22mm and only a bit of it is 15mm?

Sponsored Links
I cannot say when you have not told me the length of 22 mm and a proper description of the 15 mm part, or a photo of it.

Tony

Because the baxi duo tec you are having installed has a 22mm inlet connection. It clearly states in the manual that the gas pipework to the boiler should not be less than 22mm

30cm of 22 pipe isn't going to add much to the installation cost. Why are you so worried about it?

Last edited:
Because the baxi duo tec you are having installed has a 22mm inlet connection

30mm of 22 pipe isn't going to add much to the installation cost. Why are you so worried about it?
So basically the 30cm of 15mm going into the old boiler will have to be replaced?

The rest of the pipe is 22mm.

I will upload a photo soon.

Duotec has a 22mm connection, main has a 15mm connection. You are not allowed to pipe smaller than the connection.

But a simple reason may be just that the inlet to your new boiler will be 22 mm and for that reason alone the gas supply pipe needs to be 22 mm.

But why your concern?

300 mm of 22 mm copper tube is only about £2 !

Tony

But a simple reason may be just that the inlet to your new boiler will be 22 mm and for that reason alone the gas supply pipe needs to be 22 mm.

But why your concern?

Tony

Deja vous :D ;)

Couldn't have put it better myself tony

But why your concern?

Tony

Deja vous :D ;)

Couldn't have put it better myself tony

I have upload a picture you can see that the 22mm is reduced to 15mm going into the boiler.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 449
No need for a picture pal. You already know the reason why the pipe needs increasing

Can you repeat the photo taken from a little further away and describe what feeds the cooker?

And estimate the distance from boiler to gas meter?

Tony

Basically I have main combi 24kw and I am replacing it with a baxi duo tec 24 kW.
That presents more questions than it answers. Main haven't been making combi boilers for very long - what's so wrong with yours that the whole thing needs replacing?

No need for a picture pal. You already know the reason why the pipe needs increasing

You can see in the picture that the 22mm is reduced to 15mm going into the boiler, so do I only need to replace the small bit of 15mm to a 22mm?
Can you repeat the photo taken from a little further away and describe what feeds the cooker?

And estimate the distance from boiler to gas meter?

Tony

Basically a 22mm gas pipe goes to the boiler and has t junction, which has 30cm of 15mm pipe going into boiler and the other 15mm going to the cooker.

The distance between from the boiler to the gas meter is 5 metres.

It is basically a 22mm gas pipe which has a t junction, one small 15mm going to the boiler, and the other 15mm going to the cooker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back